problems hatching baby brine shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

studmaster

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all,

I'm hoping someone here that has hatched Baby Brine Shrimp can help.

One of my mollies had some fry. I'm trying to hatch some baby brine shrimp, and they look like they hatch, and I see a lot of little pink things in the water but they aren't moving. Some are moving, but I would say only maybe 8%.

I'm putting 1.5 tbsp salt (non-iodized course salt) per litre water, and making sure there is a heat source to keep the temp at around 80ish. Also I have a lamp right there to give them a light source. I tried an air pump, but actually got less of a hatch rate with that(might have been on too strong). My PH is about 8.2.

Anybody have any ideas?

I have found that air is important for a good hatch. The cysys need to be kept moving. You don't need a light source for hatching. I would try adding some baking soda, perhaps 1/2 tsp per liter. The water needs to be alkaline. One site I visited recently, claims to be able to hatch them without salt, only baking soda. Air stream doesn't need to be real strong, just enough to keep the cysts moving. If that doesn't improve the hatch rate, I would decapsulate the cysts with bleach. I decasulate all my cysts before hatching. Even if the eggs are poor quality, the fry can eat the unhatched decapsulated cysts.
EDIT. I reread your post, and the pH should be fine. I don't measure my salt, but I'm pretty sure I use more salt than you are. Try increasing the salt amount. I think I use close to 3 tbsp per liter. I use inverted 2 liter soda bottles, with bottoms cut off, as hatching vessels. The vessels need to be well cleaned after each use.

I've used the baking soda to hatch my brinen shrimp. I foundit to be mesier and the hatch rate was really low compired to using tank water and aqurium salt { Have used table salt when out of aqurium salt },tank water works better for me. The reason being that it has the chlorine removed from it and slighly higher alka level to it.
I've found that little air moving the water and brine shrimp,the better the hatch out. What type of hatchery are yu using?? How much salt are you using to hatch them. Also I've found that DIY hatchery works better then let's say the little black box type hatchery you can get from pet-smart. I use two 2-liter bottles with the botom cut from them. Here's a picture of my hatchery.

The air pump on it i from a hagan betta tank 2.0g works great ligh air flow.
ef273d27.jpg

Also here's a few links with some help to get your brine shrimp a better hatch rate.
http://www.fightingfish.com.au/article.php?id=41

http://www.fightingfish.com.au/article.php?id=5

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_brineshrimp_hatchery.php

http://www.melevsreef.com/pics/food/bbs/how_to_bbs.html

Hope this helps??

Thanks for the links, there were a couple news ones on there I haven't seen before. I am going to try adding less salt that what the back of the box says.

I have tried using 3 different types of hatcherys....a homemade version of the black box one you see at petsmart, an inverted airpump with a pop bottle and a simple shallow tupperware container with a "reverse hurdle" for the brine to swim under to get to a light and therefore keep the egg shells away. I used to use this last one with a lot of success back a few years ago.

The inverted pop bottle I had no luck with. I think the eggs might be bad.

Okay, I tried again, this time I reduced the salt by half...still no luck. I tried the upside down bottle with strong air and the shallow tupperware container method that I used to have a lot of luck with. Has anyone ever gotten a "bad batch" from the store? It was the San Fransisco Bay brand in the small bottle.

Bad batches from stores is the norm rather than the exception. I have gone through many vials of eggs from different stores and different brands with varying success. Some of them probably sat on the shelves for weeks if not months unrefrigerated. Some stores take very good care of them and I have found some places in Olympia that actually store them behind the counter in a small fridge and it was the best hatch I had ever had. If you want a guaranteed hatch, go here.

For what it is worth, I don't feed brine shrimp to my live bearers. I think they are too small and way too much hastle. I use grindal worms, vinegar eels and microworms. Much easier and always ready when you need them. I even fed vinegar eels , crushed flake and grindal worms to me corydoras and had a 100% survival rate of the ones that hatched.

I've only ever gotten about 1 out every 10 bags of brine shrimp from petsmart to ever be good. I buy my eggs from one guy only now on aqubid Bill Martin . I get 30gms of 90% hatch rate for $5.00and that's with shipping and all. He's quick to ship and gives nice freash eggs every time. 30gms is in 4 tubes 4 1/2 inches tall and the size of your tumb around. he has auctions on there all the time.
I fed 750 betta and Ap.cockato fry brine twice aday. They last for 8 to 10 days.

Back
Top Bottom