Problems with cycling new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pirateer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, I've been having several problems with my new aquarium and the cycling process and just wanted to ask a couple of questions to see what to do

My aquarium is a 30 gallon Juwel Primo 110, with Seachem Flourite gravel, some rocks/driftwood, and several plants (anubias nana, hygrophila polysperma, marimo/java moss, a couple java ferns, and some other beginner red plants/carpet plants. I modified the filter so, instead of only using foams, I'm using a bag of Seachem Matrix biomedia as well as Juwel's fine sponge, a couple fine filter pads, and some medium/coarse sponges as well as a small bag of Seachem Matrix Carbon - I recently replaced the Carbon sponge for a normal piece of coarse sponge instead

Dosing the aquarium with Flourish, Flourish Excel, Flourish Potassium/Iron/Phosphorus, Seachem Stability, and Seachem Prime for water changes. Adding ammonium chloride as my ammonia source and testing daily

So I've been cycling the tank for a few weeks now, and my filter can consistently turn 3-4ppm ammonia into 0ppm ammonia in around 24 hours, but my nitrite levels/nitrate levels are increidbly high. I did a large water change yesterday (70%~) and dosed with Prime + Stability, and topped ammonia up to 3ppm. After testing today, my ammonia is back to 0 and my nitrites are off the chart and my nitrates are 80ppm+.

My issue is that cycling guides say to maintain ammonia at 3-4ppm throughout the cycle so bacteria have food to eat, but my nitrites aren't decreasing anywhere near as fast, so I have a massive nitrite/nitrate spike only a couple days after changing my tank water. I also had problems with my pH/KH a couple of weeks ago where my pH dropped from 7.8 normally to almost 6.5 as my tank had ran out of KH carbonates.

I keep reading that my bacteria need food/ammonia to survive during this process, but even adding a small amount of ammonia per day (1ppm) resulted in very high nitrites/nitrates with little change despite daily testing, small water changes to lower nitrites/nitrates, adding more plants, etc.

Should I do another large water change and add 1ppm ammonia to let the nitrite bacteria catch up, or should I just continue to add 3-4ppm ammonia daily until my nitrites finally start dropping? I read that if nitrites/nitrates get too high during the cyclnig process, then my cycle will stall or stop completely, but if I don't add ammonia then my bacteria will die? Please could someone recommend a good way of progressing here as I want to add fish soon!

Thanks

I'm going to propose a low tech, maybe even crude solution here. Quit adding all the water treatments and just let the tank sit. Bacteria will find their way into the tank and in a few weeks it will be cycled. Plant additives may be OK, but I'd back off all the chemicals and let nature take over. I have 18 tanks and that's my system for cycling and it works just fine.

Back
Top Bottom