Pulled the trigger, went a little crazy.. New 125G tank! Need Ideas!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquariumNewb

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all! I haven't had a tank in years, other than a brief stint with a 36g bowfront, the last time i really had a serious tank was a 75G planted tank. I always wanted to get another big tank and finally figured out a spot where i can knock down some wall and put a 125 that'll be recessed on 3 sides in a niche, with a couple inches of wiggle room on each side.
I bought the set that comes with a stand from Petsmart, only because they are the only ones that had a tank in stock, but will be having a friend of mine fabricate a stand that will also help distribute weight onto load bearing walls where the tank is going. To fit with the theme of the rest of my home itll have a set of barn doors (either two doors with a shelf in the middle, or three doors with the center door being in front of the other two so that it can 'bypass' the other two and move freely).

Now, as far as what the heck i'm going to put in it goes, i'm clueless.
Its 100% going to be planted freshwater. Always loved those setups and that's what i'll be going with.
For substrate, ill probably go with ecocomplete again, always used it and it always got the job done.

I need suggestions for Fish, and maybe plants as well? I want to stick to hardy, easy to care for stuff because i'm pretty busy between raising my kiddos and running my business. I've always had the typical Jungle vals, Crypts, etc. and ordered some of those for the 36G that i'm also thinking i'll bring back to life while im at it. Not sure if theres other stuff i should consider that doesn't tend to melt and doesn't require too much work to maintain.

For fish, i'm clueless. I had a peacock bass (small/young one) and such and loved it but it was a lot of work to keep up with feeders and such, so im thinking maybe sticking with smaller tropical fish? IDK guys!

I considered getting some shrimp, as well, but maybe i should do that with the 36G bowfront? Thoughts?

CO2 always sounded great but i'm worried ill nuke the tank, and with the type of plants i like (fool-proof) it tends to not be particularly necessary, so i think i'll avoid that?

Filtration; i always loved my Eheim's but they seem to have disappeared? What the heck? I still have my 2217 for the 36g bowfront but will need 2 new canister filters for the 125.

As far as $$ goes, i'm cool with spending a bit more for good stuffs, but i dont like expensive plants and fish because then i feel bad if/when something goes wrong. I always loved my typical barbs, platys, plecos or corys, etc.. lol. Standard petco 5-for-5 type fish.

Please help guys im totally out of the loop. Hopped onto drsfostersmith but PETCO bought them... WOMP. Always loved that place.

TIA!

Back
Top Bottom