Purchasing 300 gal need help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MetalHeadX343

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everybody, I currently have a 45 gallon aquarium so I know all the basic things to have like filters, heaters, test strips, gravel, thermometer, lights, etc. I know that a 300 gallon will be much harder to maintain and my main concern right know is an overflow. I have a idea of what it is and even saw one today in a 300 gallon at a pet store, however the only person there could not fully explain what it did or how it worked. I believe it cleans the tank like a filter does but that's basically all I know. I have no idea how to install them either. I also don't know what a sump is. There was also this fan thingy inside of it to create a current, I would like to know what it's called so I can buy one for my catfish. Oh and is a sump and an overflow necessary in a tank that large?

Thank you for reading this and trying to help me

An overflow takes water from the tank and sends it to a sump. A sump is a very good filtration method and is recommend, especially for a tank this size. Those little fans that move water are called power heads.

I also forgot to mention I need a kind of checklist of things I will need for the 300 gallon. Please mention sizes if you can. Thanks

That is quite a large tank. What kind of catfish? Idk know if they are necessary. Hopefully someone with larger tank knowledge will help. A Fluval FX5 might work nice on this tank, or two lol. wish i could help...

Get something better than test strips. API Master kit is much cheaper in the long run.

That is quite a large tank. What kind of catfish? Idk know if they are necessary. Hopefully someone with larger tank knowledge will help. A Fluval FX5 might work nice on this tank, or two lol. wish i could help...

It's a lima shovelnose catfish he's about 6" long

Back
Top Bottom