Putting cherries in my 5gal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaken

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got my 5 gallon last week. I did a water change in my 10 gal and put it in the 5 gal. Is this considerred a cycled tank?
I bought one of the Smallworld Pump and Filter Kits from Walmart. Will it be enough for a shrimp tank or should I bring it back and get and Aqua Clear?

How long should I wait to add the shrimp?
What kind of expierence have you guys had with cherry shrimp? I've found articles that suggest that they are extremely fragile, and others that say they are rather hardy.
Should I feed them some flakes or let them feed on algae alone?

no its not considered a cycled tank. thats just moving dirty water from one tank into a new one. i use aqua clears or sponge filters on my shrimp tanks. not sure what you got.

i would get a aqua clear or sponge put it in your tank gallon for a couple weeks then move it over. in the mean time set the tank up i suggest doing plants. that way the micro organisms can build up a little. then move the filter over and add the shrimp.

as long as the tank is cycled and stable they are easy.

2nd the aquaclear with sponge for shirmp to do a quicker cycle of the tank buy some extra filter media for your 10gal (in approriate size for the 5gal's filter) and let it run in that tank for awhile

On my shrimp breeding tanks I don't run filters, nor do I run heaters. As long as the temp stays between 40-85 RCS will be fine. They prefer 60's-low 80's in my experience as far as breeding goes. Lower or higher than that any they stop breeding.

You don't need a filter. What I do is have tons of Java Moss in the tank and this does two things. First it helps to cycle the tank by removing harmful wastes from the water for their own growth and at the same time the plants are covered in beneficial bacteria that do the same thing. Secondly the Java Moss is a great plant that can have lots of "biofilm" on it, which is the main diet of those shrimp. I feed my shrimp tanks 1-2 times per week and they are booming.

If you are interested I can set you up with some shrimp, Java Moss or guppy grass, and even a seeded sponge filter from one of my tanks if you are interested. Shipping them is no problem at all. I do it all the time, in fact I just sent out two orders today and am waiting on a 3rd person to get back to me with his order. Send me a PM if you are interested. I have RCS and snowball shrimp available right now if you are interested.

Mgamer, I'm glad you couldn't see my face when I read the second sentence of your post.:p I'm sure if was rather funny. I figured it was the bacteria in the water that you wanted.

bs6749, Thanks for the offer and I'll definitle consider it. I havn't found anyone near me that sell them yet.

There is very little bacteria in the water column. Almost all of the bacteria in the tank will be on surfaces of plants, decorations, in filter media, and don't forget about the substrate. If you wanted to "instantly cycle" your new tank you should move some of the filter media or some of the substrate to the new tank and stock it immediately.

Here is a link to a previous sale thread I had up to show you some pictures: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...all-shrimp-yellow-shrimp-for-sale-117913.html

I'm going to wait a couple of weeks. This month is off to a bad start.

I'll put some decorations and subtrate that I want in the 5 gal into the 10 gal till I'm ready to start over.

Thanks for all the info.
bs6749 do you always have shrimp available? Really considering buying from you.

I breed several types of shrimp with more planned in the near future. If it's red cherry shrimp you are looking for then I should always have some of those available since I have 3 tanks of them up and running.

Perfect. I'll contact you when I'm ready.

Thanks a bunch.

Back
Top Bottom