PWC? Fishless cycle stalled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wait at least 20hrs. Then increase the dose by 1ppm. We are giving the bb the benefit of the doubt here! :)

pH 7.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates between 80 and 160

I am thinking water change to restore buffers and drop nitrites. Then increase ammonia to 3 ppm. Is that right?

Sorry to be asking so many questions. I stalled out my sons when it was almost done and I dont want to do it again.

Thanks so much for your help!
Jana

You should be ok for today- no wc needed yet. The high nitrates are not going to affect the cycling process. Go ahead & dose to 3ppm & lets see how things look in 24hrs. :)

Exciting! Dosed with 3ppm of ammonia and today:
ammonia and nitrite 0
nitrate 80-160 (closer to 160 than yesterday)
ph 7.6

:)

Thats great!!! And your ph stayed put as well! Ok, dose to 3ppm for one more day then tomorrow you can increase the dose to 4ppm. :)

Ok today it is:
pH: 7.6
Ammonia 0
Nitrates 120's (between 80 and 160 but way higher than 80)
Nitrites .5

Do I dose to 4 toda or do 3 again since I still showed nitrites?

Thanks so much you have really helped to move this along you should do a writeup!

Your nitrites didnt completely zero, so lets do 3 for another day. Once they are zeroing steadily, you can go ahead & increase the amm dose to 4ppm. They should be zeroing out 3ppm in a day or two but newly cycling tanks are a bit tempermental, so lets just work off of the numbers you are getting right now. :)

Pooey!

Todays readings are (at 29 hrs after)
pH 7.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrites off the chart
Nitrates 140'ish

So I am guessing I wait for nitrites to fall and skip or stick to 3ppm?

Whats the next step?

Thanks!

Skip the amm & wait for them to drop again. New tanks are tempermental so a few glitches along the way can be expected. :)

This morning it is
pH 7.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 2-5 (but not off the chart)
Nitrate 160'ish

I assume i am still waiting till the Nitrite drop down to 1 or below is that right?

Also do I want to do a water change to restore the minerals and bring the nitrate down a bit?

Thanks!
Jana

The nitrate level isnt concerning but I am surprised your nitrites havent dropped further. Go ahead & do a big wc. Wait little bit & retest your nitrites. If they have dropped to 1 or lower, go back to 2ppm ammonia & lets see how things look in 24hrs. :)

We did an 80% water change and Nitrites are at .5

Will dose to 2 and see.

Thanks again!

Ok added 2 ammonia list night. The test results are:
pH 7.6
Nitrates 40-80
Ammonia and Nitrites 0

Should I bump to 2 1/2 or go to 3?

Let's try 2 1/2 dose for tonight & see how things look in 24hrs. If all is well, you can bump it up to 3 tomorrow. :)

All is well.
pH 7.6
Ammonia and Nitrites 0
Nitrates 80-100

I dosed 3 ppm fingers crossed and THANK YOU for all of your help. I am hoping it is close to the end of the cycle. Of course my QT tank has cotton mouth so they won't be going in any time soon :/

Woohoo! I'll try to not get my hopes up and at least try to maintain patience. LOL

Yay. It has been a little over 12 hrs Ammonia is 0. Hope the nitrites come down!

Back
Top Bottom