PWC Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HopefulHobbiest

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i have a 55G tank, have yet to buy a Python(sp) so all i have are 5G buckets and a siphon vac... which i'm ok with at the moment but will need a "water changer" later...

on to the question,

i want to make this as easy as possible. if i'm using a 5G bucket for water changes on a 55G tank, how many 5G buckets would you equate to a PWC?

i'm hoping this will be easy and not one of those "oh, its based on your chem readings" type things...

thanks

i have a 55G tank, have yet to buy a Python(sp) so all i have are 5G buckets and a siphon vac... which i'm ok with at the moment but will need a "water changer" later...

on to the question,

i want to make this as easy as possible. if i'm using a 5G bucket for water changes on a 55G tank, how many 5G buckets would you equate to a PWC?

i'm hoping this will be easy and not one of those "oh, its based on your chem readings" type things...

thanks

Well if you do a 20% water change you would be removing 20% of 55 gallons which is about 11 gallons of water. Granted you dont have exactly 55 gallons so 11 gallons may be closer to 23 or 25%.

I do the same thing. I take out anywhere from 4-6 nearly full buckets (about 1-3 in from the top) and put in as many as I need to fill it back up. I do this at least once every week. Hope this helps

HopefulHobbiest said:

on to the question,

thanks

Sadly it is based on readings. The point of a water change is to remove nitrates. And you change enough water to keep your nitrates <20.

*edit*
Should have said sadly. Should've said 'actually' haha

thats kinda what i figured it would be, which is i fine. i would rather put in the extra work to make the fish happy and comfortable versus staring at stressed out fish all day... i'll just start with a 15-20% PWC, run a test in a few hours and see where i'm at, unless you recommend waiting for than a few hours.

HopefulHobbiest said:
thats kinda what i figured it would be, which is i fine. i would rather put in the extra work to make the fish happy and comfortable versus staring at stressed out fish all day... i'll just start with a 15-20% PWC, run a test in a few hours and see where i'm at, unless you recommend waiting for than a few hours.

Well what are your nitrates now?

so i just finished reading the whole 190+ posts on the sticky about getting started and i'm kinda screwed right now as far as testing equipment goes... i'm using the crapy test strips but can't do anything about it until the tenth.

this morning when i tested the tank before work(test tank every morning)

nitrAtes i believe are slowing starting to build but are also kinda on the no-existant side.

its pretty much 0

----
Edit - i'll test my tank again after work if you'd like to check back then and maybe we could go over this again.
i'll be home around 7:30 eastern time

HopefulHobbiest said:
so i just finished reading the whole 190+ posts on the sticky about getting started and i'm kinda screwed right now as far as testing equipment goes... i'm using the crapy test strips but can't do anything about it until the tenth.

this morning when i tested the tank before work(test tank every morning)

nitrAtes i believe are slowing starting to build but are also kinda on the no-existant side.

its pretty much 0

----
Edit - i'll test my tank again after work if you'd like to check back then and maybe we could go over this again.
i'll be home around 7:30 eastern time

If you aren't showing any nitrAtes then the tank isn't cycled.. unless you do a lot of big WC's. Or unless its CRAZY planted..

Definantly pick up an API Master Freshwater Test Kit when you can. see if your lfs will test it for you(they normally use liquid tests) and tell you the actual number of your nitrAtes.

A couple questions:
1) how long has the tank been set up
2) what's stocked in the tank
3) what's your maintnance schedule

thats the test kit i was planning on getting :)

tank has been running for about 2-3 weeks(about meaning i'm in the 3rd week)

current stock is:
4 sunburst platy
1 eclipse(sun) catfish (i am aware from doing my own research that this catfish will eventually need a larger than 55G tank and i'm ok with that, will upgrade when needed :) )
6 cory cats(3 peppered, 3 albino)

maintnance is:
1-2 5G buckets for PWC every saturday at this point but will increase frequency or amount of water if needed, not a problem at all

HopefulHobbiest said:
thats the test kit i was planning on getting :)

tank has been running for about 2-3 weeks(about meaning i'm in the 3rd week)

current stock is:
4 sunburst platy
1 eclipse(sun) catfish (i am aware from doing my own research that this catfish will eventually need a larger than 55G tank and i'm ok with that, will upgrade when needed :) )
6 cory cats(3 peppered, 3 albino)

maintnance is:
1-2 5G buckets for PWC every saturday at this point but will increase frequency or amount of water if needed, not a problem at all

Good! :) stocking looks fine, definantly up the amount of water changed..

How did you cycle the tank?

Define cycle? Cause the only thing i did was setup, fill, add the starter bacteria, wait a few days and added the current stock... Needless to say I'm doin a fish in cycle that's still in progress

-----
Edit - I have to live plants as well, if that matters at all...

amonia is between .25-.50

Nitrites don't show ethier

but it could just be the test strips i use... the more i read the more i see the inportance of a legit kit like the AP kit

HopefulHobbiest said:
Define cycle? Cause the only thing i did was setup, fill, add the starter bacteria, wait a few days and added the current stock... Needless to say I'm doin a fish in cycle that's still in progress

-----
Edit - I have to live plants as well, if that matters at all...

First, stop using the bacteria, its no good in the long run. Cycling a tank from scratch takes 3-6weeks..

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/i-just-learned-about-cycling-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now/

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html

You can do a fish-in cycle sucessfully if you are comitted to this.

I've only ever done fish-in cycles so after you read those I can help walk you through it:)

haha i just finished reading that link for the cycle "step over to the dark side" but i'll check the other thread link now.

i only used the bacteria the first day, since then the only thing i've added is water conditioner when water changes were done.

HopefulHobbiest said:
haha i just finished reading that link for the cycle "step over to the dark side" but i'll check the other thread link now.

i only used the bacteria the first day, since then the only thing i've added is water conditioner when water changes were done.

The bacteria is just a waste of money, the bacteria doesn't live in the bottle thats sitting on the shelf in a store very long. But that's a whole different thread:p

Thanks! I would not trust the strips either but if they are showing any amount of ammonia, its likely present to a some degree in your tank & I would suggest a 50% water change. Your tank likely hasnt even started the cycle process yet if you have zero nitrites. But, we dont know this absolutely because of the strips. So, just stay on top of your water changes in the meantime to keep everyone healthy & happy. Heres some more info on fish-in cycling- dont hesitate to ask questions! :)

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

will do and i'll be picking up the FW Master kit on payday... i'll definietly know more at that point but i would also agree with you that my tank has yet to cycle.

What type of conditioner is it? As long as it dechlorinates thats the primary issue but Prime is well recommended on this site (esp cycling) because it helps to limit the toxicity of ammonia, nitrite & nitrate. :)

Back
Top Bottom