Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-08-2006, 06:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

python

looking for a better option than filling buckets to do water changes. Who uses the Python? Do you like it? Ease of use?
Any help is appreciated. Right now I have you standard vacuum siphon and of course my bucket.

Old 10-08-2006, 06:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
I have one. I could not live with out it. My tanks are in the basement I would have to lug buckets up and down the stairs. I hook that sucker up it emptys and refills all 3 tanks in less than an hour no mess, no fuss. It is one of the greatest inventions ever.

Old 10-08-2006, 06:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Lots of people have them and they LOVE em.Most people openly post wondering why they waited so long to get one lol.

For another option check the DIY forum for some pics of an similar unit I built a while back....works great and not very expensive.

90g SW FOWLR
50g tall fw planted at .6wpg
29g fw planted at 1.2 wpg
10g fw planted at 3 wpg cf
SCFatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 07:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It's probably the most useful piece of equipment that I've bought for my aquariums.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't really get the difference between a python and regular gravel vac. I use a large generic gravel vac with a piece of cut off garden hose that fits right over the end of the hose and drain into my bath tub ( I suppose I was lucky that the fit was perfect). I use the other half of the hose and a tap adapter to fill directly from my sink (after temp check). No buckets involved.

My Dad just cut off an inch from the end of the gravel vac tubing and took it to a hardware store and found some more tubing that fit perfectly (if you aren't lucky like me ) and drains right out his back door.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
I have a Python and really like it. Very little work involved, other than having to roll 75FT of Python back up, lol. Other than that, best money I ever spent.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:12 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

That sounds like a great endorsement for Python. Off to the LFS today. Thank you all.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:20 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
Another brand, which is good and others use, is the Lee's brand. I believe theyu carry them at Walmart, and it's much cheaper.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:02 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I bought the python, and found it to make pwc pretty easy, with no mess. I got mine at Petsmart, price matched to the petsmart.com price. Matbe that could be an option for you.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:27 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I wouldn't buy one at a fish store...go to walmart if you want one cheap. I paid $36 for mine there and my local fish store was trying to sell them for $100. I know we want to support the LFS, but if it's a $64 difference save your self the $ and get a nice few fish with it! 8O
Old 10-09-2006, 04:01 PM   #11
eah
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher
I wouldn't buy one at a fish store...
It's shocking to compare the prices of your LFS and a reputable online store. I bought my python from http://www.drsfostersmith.com/ and have regularly used a coupon I found online for $8 off an order of $50 or more (if anyone wants the coupon code, you can PM me). It's funny, I started having some back pain around the time that I upped my water changes in my old 29 gallon tank. It wasn't until I bought the python and my back returned to normal that I realized how much of a toll those 5 gallon buckets were taking on me.

You will love your new python! Enjoy.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:22 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

I will probably be buying from a source other than my LFS. There does seem to be a huge difference in price and after what I spent to set this tank up I have decided that cheap is good.
3 head and tail light tetras
4 white cloud minnows
2 marble hatchets
4 poleatus cories
1 freshwater flounder
1 japonica shrimp
4 Otos
flushingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 05:58 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hope you got a python, next thing is one of their black nets with a long handle, very "handy"!
Old 10-22-2006, 06:01 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

For water changes I LOVE the Python - it makes getting a "monster tank" (sometime in the future) a real possibility
I'm still not happy with the suction power, so I do a normal gravel vac but it cuts the number of buckets down to ONE , which is quite livable.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:13 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to onah Send a message via MSN to onah
u will find alot of people say that after the first time they use it, they cant wait for another PWC! when was the last time u said i cant wait to get home and CARRY THE BUCKET BACK AND FORTH! lol, buy one its the best money ever spent, go to wal mart i just got mine not top long ago, and that was the cheapest, unless u have a petsmart in your area but there u need to take the online price to the store i think, and they will match it. good luck!
Old 10-22-2006, 06:59 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

I found my python broke often. I would constanly loose water pumps due to the thread striping. I would recomend upgrading the python with their brass adaptors:

http://www.bigalsonline.ca/BigAlsCA/...onbrassadaptor

My python switch, the on / off valve, snapped due to pressure. You can get new brass parts at Home Depot or Lowes.

Also get a bunch of brass quick conectors. Ever since I got those I've never had a problem with a python braking.

Over all I couldn't imagine changing water the old way using buckets.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:02 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

When I had some big fishes like Oscar in my 55 gallon tank, I used the phthon and it was easy to change water.

But now I have only 10 and 30 gallon tanks with small fishes inside, I use gravel vaccum and bucket. Every time (every 2-4 days) I change 1-2 bucket of water and I find some fries under the bottom of the bucket. Actually, this is the way I collect the fry from the tank, and is also why I change water so frequently. It is a fun to find and collect more fries. I know I may throw away some fish eggs as they are too tiny and I can't see them. But, if you use phthon, you will never know what you have lost.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:41 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to SeymourFRESH
i think the python may be a waste of money if you can just get a long length of 3/4" flexible tubing that you can stick out your back door, or a drain, or wherever

just stick the syphon in and it works like a charm

i don't know this for a fact, but i'm sure tubing would be quite a bit cheaper than buying the python

Tags
python

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com