qestions about crushed coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmon777

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i am staring 40 gallon African cichlid tank that Dennison's i believe are [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]48 1/4 x 12 3/4 x 16 7/8[/FONT] and was wondering is 50 pounds of coral enough or should i add more? also i washed this stuff for about 2 hours and still got cloudy water given i was doing it in bath tub with a strainer and 5 gallon bucket. after about 15 hours it settled down but then went to mover the heater to the other side of the tank and put it under the gravel and the tank got cloudy again is this normal? or should try and rinse it some more? there no fish and the tank has not really started to cycle yet.

I have never used crushed coral but in my experience with sand or fluorite the cloud will disappear. Once it has settled vacuum the substrate real good then let it settle again. I try to get as much of the stuff that is clouding the tank out as possible before adding fish.

When rinsing the cc, just rinse it until the dust that has accumalated during shipping, etc in the package has been removed. You will never get the water to run totally clear since it is a porus substance that will dissolve in water. As joy said, it will clear once in the tank and settled. 50 pounds should be enough :).

Crushed coral will cloud, if you have an HOB some simple filter floss will take the particulate out of the water.

thank you guys for the and sorry for the bad spelling.lol we just got rock for it to today cant wait till to see some fish move into it:D

Back
Top Bottom