Quarantine or no?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AtHomeWithTwins

Aquarium Advice Activist
Im Fishless cycling a new 55 gallon freshwater and using that time to decide on my stocking. Heres my question, if i purchase lets say 15 new fish do i quarantine them? Brand new tank, so no other fish to consider getting sick. Is it less stressful to just introduce these fish into the new tank then stuff them all in a 10 gal quarantine? Fishless cycle takes too long, gives my mind too much opportunity to think!!

But one of the biggest benefits of fishless cycling is to be able to fully stock(or almost) right from the beginning

I guess i just dont understand the point of doing a fishless cycle over the course of six weeks and creating a biological filtration that can turn 4ppm of ammonia into pure nitrates in 12 hours and then only adding two or three guppies(or whatever).

Fish less cycling prevents fish from exposure to harmful levels of ammonia. Nothing more. I wouldn't add 15 fish at one time to any tank young or old.

if your tank is cycled to handle a large bio load you can add them all at once...that's how i always have done it (especially with cichlids)...never had any issues (outside of my first ever tank)...

once your tank is cycled and your on a cleaning/water change schedule that includes constant/daily additions of fish food you'll be using and maybe some other bio material for the tank to break down (i make sure it stays in parameters like this for at least 2 weeks after it's cycled)...you're ready for all of your fish...

Fyi from wikipedia...
"Fishless cycling also allows the aquarium to be partially stocked from the moment it is cycled, if the nitrogen cycle is completed with high concentration of pure ammonia added daily. This makes for faster stocking than having to wait several weeks between each new group of additions to the tank. It can also be extremely useful when the fish keeper plan to stock a tank full of territorial aggressive fish such as African cichlids, where the later added fish can be at a disadvantage."

yes...i always quarantine...either all seperately or 2-3 per container...

Your New Tank

Im Fishless cycling a new 55 gallon freshwater and using that time to decide on my stocking. Heres my question, if i purchase lets say 15 new fish do i quarantine them? Brand new tank, so no other fish to consider getting sick. Is it less stressful to just introduce these fish into the new tank then stuff them all in a 10 gal quarantine? Fishless cycle takes too long, gives my mind too much opportunity to think!!

Hello At...

When you choose fish, you want them to free of blemishes, sores, lumps, bumps, with a generally healthy look and active in the tank. Check to make sure the fins are shaped well and not clamped close to their body. Healthy fish have a round body with scales close the body. If there's time, check to see how well they eat. A sickly fish has no appetite. If the fish passes this test, there's really no reason to quarantine it.

I always check to see if there are any dead fish in with the ones I want. If there are, I go to another tank. If you have any doubt about the fish, pass on it.

15 fish is quite a few, but if they're a species that's hardy and stays fairly small, they should be alright. Just make sure the tank is prepared with a lot of floating plants like Hornwort and Common water weed. These are fast growing and don't require planting in the substrate. They'll help maintain a stable water chemistry. Keep the tank water clean with large, frequent water changes too.

Just a couple of suggestions.

B

You will learn above all other lessons in this hobby one very important one. Quarantine everything you buy and wet arms are the style.

Fishless cycling allows you to stock the entire tank at once. This is one of the benefits of fishless cycling. It will not cause a new cycle, that's why you fishless cycle to handle such a large bioload. Many people will divide it into 50%/50%. I'm going to agree to disagree with a previous poster. Other posters seem to have missed the fishless cycle element as well. Your bacterial load will be fully prepared. You're not going to have any problems on that front.

I'm going to disagree with others here about the quarantine ONLY because of your specific situation. I'm a big fan of quarantines and I run one but I wouldn't bother quarantining the very first group. I mean they are the very first fish into the tank. I guess it just depends if you are willing to buy meds for a bigger tank if they DO in fact get a disease. It's cost versus risk. When there is no other fish to infect I would put them straight in. But to be fair, I would quarantine the next group.

I'm with Threnjen on this one. If you've properly cycled, you should be safe to stock your fish all at once. That way your display tank will act as your quarantine because it contains only new fish. After that, any new additions should definitely be quarantined separately.

Perhaps in times past I would have QT (assuming possible) simply so that if I did have to use meds, than no risk to main tank bb or plants. For first tank stocking I should add.

Now I don't notice so much trouble with bb vs meds and I can set up a QT fairly quickly using biomedia from the main tank. I might QT loaches and catfish just in case to keep them separate to any infection risk.

Once your cycle on the 55 gallon is completed you should be able to put 15 smaller hardy fish in a 10 gallon quarantine tank but you would have to put some of your filter media from the fully cycled 55g in to the 10gal and replace it with fresh.

Just observe the fish. There's no need to add precautionary meds as this is not good for the fish. If you do have a problem with them, they may just heal up in cleaner water. If they don't you can then dose meds on based on the symptoms. You would then have to discard that part of the filter media as not to transfer and bugs over.

I would still not add 15 fish to a 10gallon though as this could lead to overcrowding related stress.

The reason I would quarantine them is for cost reasons. The best meds are only obtainable from the US and they are difficult to get here in the UK unless paying through your teeth.

That said. You could add them to your main and observe. If you have problems you can move them to the quarantine to keep cost down. But then you run the risk of contaminating your fully cycled filter media in the main.

Back
Top Bottom