Quarantine Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennymph

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey, I've set up a QT today with some media I had in my recently cycled tank.
Just wondering what the procedure is if there IS any ammonia present whilst fish are in there getting medicated. If I was to do water changes to get rid of the ammonia etc wouldn't that remove the medications? OR alternatively, should I do water changes and THEN medicate when there's no ammonia present (if there is anyway)? I have prime and dechlorinators etc, just don't want to run into this problem when QT my new fish. Thank you.

Snapchat-1280940905.jpg Pictured is my QT setup.
Heater. No substrate. 2 IAL. 2 Hides. Air Stone. Filter with the established media inside.

Don't buy sick fish, don't treat healthy fish unless they start showing symptoms.

Prime will help detoxify ammonia, run the tank for 24 hours with meds, and if there is ammonia do a water change but make sure to continue the medication dose.

Okay, will hopefully be getting the Corydoras this weekend if all is good in my main tank. I guess only time will tell with the QT tank if the media is cycled and has created an instant cycle. I don't want to unnecessarily stress the fish out with ammonia. I'll be going to my LFS and will ask what their quarantine methods are etc so maybe I can just put them straight into the main tank? It'll be another month or so before I add any more fish anyway.

Suppose it's just a case of testing each day with QT and monitoring it closely. Going to keep in QT for 2 weeks, as that's the consensus on the length of time.

If these are your first fish, then technically your display tank is a quarantine (for fish related diseases, not algae/hydra/cyano etc. ) ;)

But, it always helps to know if your LFS has decent quarantining practices. So if you are worried about introducing nasties, put new acquisitions in QT, but don't medicate unless they truly are sick.

Yes, test once a day to ensure the cycled media is capable of supporting what fish you introduce into the QT.

Nice. Thank you, you're my Aquarium Guru ? So do you suggest finding out about my LFS procedures and if all okay (I trust them to tell me the truth) I add the first lot of fish, Corydoras, straight away and monitor them to see if any need QT. I think that's what I've gathered from your posts.

Nice. Thank you, you're my Aquarium Guru ? So do you suggest finding out about my LFS procedures and if all okay (I trust them to tell me the truth) I add the first lot of fish, Corydoras, straight away and monitor them to see if any need QT. I think that's what I've gathered from your posts.

Because there isn't any fish in your tank, you can't kill anything by introducing the bought fish. So "technically" speaking, your display tank can be used as a QT.

BUT, you can introduce disease that can live dormant in the tank, so eventually it could come back. You could also introduce hitchhikers/algaes/bacterium etc. So it's really up to you whether or not you QT the first batch of fish or not. I usually don't.

So, if there are fish in the tank, and you don't know the history of new fish you are buying, it's a good idea to QT them and watch for disease etc.

Asking a LFS is a good start, but can you trust them? It's really a personal call, stores around me vary, and even the same store varies depending on which employee is working that shift. So I usually pull the "I know more than you" mindset, and look for healthy tanks with healthy fish, general cleanliness of the store etc etc. If the people are knowledgeable and the store is well looked after, there's a good chance the stock is healthy, or else they wouldn't sell it. Look for reviews about the store etc.

Of course this happens on the flip side as well, so fish from a "bad" store should certainly be QT for a few weeks or more to look for disease and nasties they could be carrying.

I'll just look for the healthiest fish anyway, ask the LFS their procedures etc, and Quarantine them because I would rather not have something dormant. As it's my first community tank and my second tank I've ever owned I'll be extra precautious but I'll take everything you say into consideration and contemplation :)

I have better luck ordering fish online. But if your getting fish from a store, Make sure you check all the tanks in the store! Important! If you see anything on any fish or somethings not right, ask what tanks are filtered through the same water. And What tanks are being treated for anything. It's up to you if you want to take a chance or not on anything. Ich is usually free with purchase of fish at stores. Just alittle heads up on some questions and advice. Be careful. Make sure you have meds, salt, whatever before you leave the store. I turn my heat up alittle for new comers and lights out, or low light when adding. Less stress. I would just add them to the tank if it was me. But, your call. Good luck! Tank looks good by the way. They would love a new home like that. If you add them to the tank would probably be even less stress, and better luck. Just say'n. Enjoy your new adoptions...

I have better luck ordering fish online. But if your getting fish from a store, Make sure you check all the tanks in the store! Important! If you see anything on any fish or somethings not right, ask what tanks are filtered through the same water. And What tanks are being treated for anything. It's up to you if you want to take a chance or not on anything. Ich is usually free with purchase of fish at stores. Just alittle heads up on some questions and advice. Be careful. Make sure you have meds, salt, whatever before you leave the store. I turn my heat up alittle for new comers and lights out, or low light when adding. Less stress. I would just add them to the tank if it was me. But, your call. Good luck! Tank looks good by the way. They would love a new home like that. If you add them to the tank would probably be even less stress, and better luck. Just say'n. Enjoy your new adoptions...
They're in a room no one goes in with low light as it's at the back of my house :) I have all the meds I need as I want to be prepared. To be honest I may order online as I've not seen the Diamond Tetras I want anywhere but online, or Pearl Gouramis for that matter. ? Thanks for your advice ?

Wow interesting. Is that just a plastic tub? How many liters? Are those almond leaves in there? It's a nice little setup.
45L "Food safe" tub :) and yes thought the Almond Leaves would bring a beneficial environment for the fish as they have antibacterial properties and provide cover :)

Deciding on putting first lot of fish into the main tank, and ensuring that my quarantine tank is cycled before introducing any more fish. Suppose I can observe the fish I get this weekend and medicate appropriately if needs be, I have Stress Guard, Paraguard, Aquarium Salt, ESHA Anti White Spot and ESHA 2000 (for fungus, fin rot etc). Can I medicate my main tank if necessary? Just worried about the blue from the Paraguard but maybe a simple water change can help that

Deciding on putting first lot of fish into the main tank, and ensuring that my quarantine tank is cycled before introducing any more fish. Suppose I can observe the fish I get this weekend and medicate appropriately if needs be, I have Stress Guard, Paraguard, Aquarium Salt, ESHA Anti White Spot and ESHA 2000 (for fungus, fin rot etc). Can I medicate my main tank if necessary? Just worried about the blue from the Paraguard but maybe a simple water change can help that

Water changes and fresh activated carbon will remove meds, just keep a few bags of fresh carbon on hand for use after medication treatments, remove after a few days and toss in the trash.

I'm installing a Fluval 306 and have taken the carbon out, should I place in the filter (cannister) then take it out after the couple of days?

I'm installing a Fluval 306 and have taken the carbon out, should I place in the filter (cannister) then take it out after the couple of days?

Only if you are trying to get rid of meds, if not then no, don't bother putting it back in.

Back
Top Bottom