Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

typhoon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been cycling my tank for what seems like forever. Its been about three or four weeks now, my question is this...my nitrite levels have finally risen, but my ammonia levels are still the exact same as they have been.

Is this normal? Shouldnt the ammonia start to go down when the nitrite levels rise?

Also, when i first started cycling the tank, i planted some seeds for aquarium plants i got, and they have now started growing. Could this be messing with the cycling? The plants are growing healthily, not dying or anything.

When i first started cycling the tank it was up around 5 ppm, after two and a half weeks of nothing happening i did a water change to bring the levels down, now id say its around 2-3ppm maybe. Those darn colors are hard to read sometimes. and the nitrite levels have spiked to around 4ppm

What kind of test kit are you using? Dont do a water change as you are cycling, that is what your problem probably is you dont have enough ammonia. I would add some more food and bring up the ammonia, and depending on what kind of test kit you are using i would keep testing. The nitrate levels that are there i bet are form your plants using your ammonia and the beginning of your cycle.

Im using the master test kit by api. I add a pinch of fish food everyday, and i was adding drops of ammonia, but i feel nervous adding anymore becuase i dont want my cycle to stall again by having to much.

And i just checked my nitrAte levels and they are at 20+ ppms!!

ammonia -2ppm

nitrite-2ppm.

lol what is going on.

Nothing, sounds like the cycle is started. Stop the ammonia drops and just add fish food, it will release its own ammonia. What are your nitrates?

I already did stop the ammonia drops as soon as it reached about 3-4ppms.

and the nitrates are over 20ppms

Oh boy! :D

*is excited*

I cant wait to get my fisheys in there.

Nothing, sounds like the cycle is started. Stop the ammonia drops and just add fish food, it will release its own ammonia. What are your nitrates?
using ammonia is a lot more controllable unlike fish food. its not a set amount.

a normal cycle can take 4-6+ weeks just give it time.

I agree, your cycle is progressing as expected.

Continue to monitor your ammonia levels. As they fall below 1ppm you'll need to add more ammonia to raise it back into the 3-5ppm range. in the final days of your cycle you'll be doing this daily. You have to avoid starving the bacteria that convert ammonia -> nitrIte or you'll end up with a mini-cycle once you add fish.

Back
Top Bottom