Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishieNoob

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all.

I just got a 30 gallon tank and I would like to use sand but I was wondering 2 things.

First: I was thinking of having a Cory but I'm not sure what other fish would be good to have with it.

Second: I want to have live plants do I need to finish the tank cycling before I can put them in or is it okay to put the plants in and then cycle the tank.

Thanks! Also any advice would be greatly appreciated!

1) Cories are great little fish! They are social though and need a group. I'd aim for 5 of a species, minimum. Basically any other peaceful fish can live with cories, they are complete pacifists.
2) Put them in any time

The corys do need to be in groups as stated above. The plants are fine now as long as the tank has been up and running for 1-2 weeks. Once you put the plants in give it a week or two to settle down. Then add the corys and wait at least two weeks to add more fish. If you have an idea of what fish you would like to add just post up and let folks advise you.

I love cories too! Just a thought, you may look into the dwarf species for your tank. I have a 29 gallon and I keep 9 dwarf cories (pygmaeus and habrosus). It's nice because you can have a lot of them without overcrowding and they do well in larger shoals. Any other peaceful smaller fish can be stocked with them. The only thing I've ever had in my tank they didn't get along with were the emperor tetras and no-one in my tank liked them. ; )

Out of curiosity, what method are you using to cycle your tank?

Thank you guys for the replies!!

I ended up going with white gravel instead of sand. Will that make a difference to the cories?

I am thinking of some kind of dwarf type just can't seem to decide on what one's yet.

I'm using fish in cycle I have 2 neon tetras in the tank.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

corys prefer sand because they sift thru the substrate. Gravel is ok but you HAVE to make sure it is round, small... VERY small, and smooth otherwise you might injure your cories. i have false julii's in mine and they're silly little guys. I can always tell where they've been in the tank cus of the way the sand looks (though I dont mind)

If my studies have been right (months of research) neons aren't as hardy as they used to be because of inbreeding and really shouldn't be used to cycle tanks, though don't get me wrong it can be done. All fish are different.

As far as future stocking I don't know for sure but like stated you'd want a minimum of 5-6 corys of the same species. In a 30g you could most likely get away with 10. I only have 5 in my 20g, I could have more if I didn't have my BN Pleco.

if you're neons survive, make sure you get about 4 more to get a school of 6, but the more the merrier.

Also about the plants, you ca add them right off the bat when setting up the tank. I did. Plants LOVE the cycling process! My amazon sword, which is classified as a SLOW GROWER sprouted 5 leaves in under 4 weeks (took me about 4 weeks to fishless cycle) and now 4 of those leaves are over 3" in length. I mean i have other ferts in the tank too but the growth happened mainly during the cycling process. So don't be afraid to add those plants whenever you want. Keep in mind you want the proper lighting for live plants. I have a t8(6500) bulb in mine and my tank is with low to medium light plants and they were doing wonderful.

corys prefer sand because they sift thru the substrate. Gravel is ok but you HAVE to make sure it is round, small... VERY small, and smooth otherwise you might injure your cories. i have false julii's in mine and they're silly little guys. I can always tell where they've been in the tank cus of the way the sand looks (though I dont mind) If my studies have been right (months of research) neons aren't as hardy as they used to be because of inbreeding and really shouldn't be used to cycle tanks, though don't get me wrong it can be done. All fish are different. As far as future stocking I don't know for sure but like stated you'd want a minimum of 5-6 corys of the same species. In a 30g you could most likely get away with 10. I only have 5 in my 20g, I could have more if I didn't have my BN Pleco. if you're neons survive, make sure you get about 4 more to get a school of 6, but the more the merrier. Also about the plants, you ca add them right off the bat when setting up the tank. I did. Plants LOVE the cycling process! My amazon sword, which is classified as a SLOW GROWER sprouted 5 leaves in under 4 weeks (took me about 4 weeks to fishless cycle) and now 4 of those leaves are over 3" in length. I mean i have other ferts in the tank too but the growth happened mainly during the cycling process. So don't be afraid to add those plants whenever you want. Keep in mind you want the proper lighting for live plants. I have a t8(6500) bulb in mine and my tank is with low to medium light plants and they were doing wonderful.
this is all very good advise, keep in mind certain plants will require more/less light, swords and crypts are heavy root feeders and will do best with root tabs. Also consider dosing a weekly hit if seachem flourish comprehensive to keep all your plants happy happyy

yes yes. I'd recommend API root tabs and Jobe's fert sticks (can find them at like lowes for like..2$ for a lot) just snap the Jobes in half and you can place them in the substrate too along with the API root tabs. That combo is what has made my amazon sword explode (along with the cycling process) so it definitally gets my 5 star rating hahaha

One of the main reasons I was looking at the cories was because of wanting to use sand. I'm not sure now if I will cause looking at the gravel I think it might not be round enough for them. I would like to have some kind of algae eater but do they all need sand type floor?

As for plants I have a moss ball and java moss. They look like they are doing well. The light is F18T8 Natural Daylight.

I have done exactly the same I have always used gravel and never thought of using sand until I saw a friends aquarium, I have my tank set up and I'm in the process of cycling I have plants and a 5 leopard danios in at the minute but I plan to put Corys, tetras, more danios mainly small fish I had goldfish in the tank and a pleco but I got another aquarium as my 55g got a leak at Xmas time so it had to be resealed which was fun haha

Back
Top Bottom