Question about 100% pwc's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

psychofish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
If I replace 100% of the water in my fish tank, what will happen to the cycle??? Will it start over? Will it be ok? PLEASE HELP!!!:confused::cool::thanks:

It depends. If you replace the water right away and the gravel and filter are still wet, your cycle won't start over. However, I wouldn't recommend such a drastic action as it will stress your fish. If you're doing a fishless cycle, I can't see a need for a 100% water change unless you've contaminated your water by dropping something chemical in it. If that's the case, you need to wash and sterilize your gravel and filter anyway, which means your cycle will start over.

It depends on how long your tank has been established and what else you have in there that will hold the bacteria, (substrate etc.) If it is algae that is the problem, changing the water will not help. How often are your lights on per day and what kind of lighting.

If algae is out of control, I would do a 40-50% pwc and the. Turn the lights off in the aquarium for three to four days. For the best results, you could cover the whole tank in towels to let absolutely no light in, but usually I just turn the tank lights off for a while.

Back
Top Bottom