Question about cloudy water/cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robg719

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I started up a new 40 gal freshwater tank a little over a month ago, no matter how much water I change, the water gets cloudy (light white haze). The ammonia has been getting high, so I have been doing 15-40% water changes several times a week, depending on the level. I make sure not to feed to much, and vaccuum the gravel and remove excess.

1) The white haze? Will it naturally pass? I thought with the water changes it would go away, but shortly after a light white haze appears
2) I'm about about 5weeks in, but have i slowing down the cycling process?

I originally tried to start off with zebra danios, but they died within a few days. I then purchased 4 austrailain rainbows, which seem to be doing really great but I know the haze cant be good for them long term.

Any thoughts?

Robg719 said:
I started up a new 40 gal freshwater tank a little over a month ago, no matter how much water I change, the water gets cloudy (light white haze). The ammonia has been getting high, so I have been doing 15-40% water changes several times a week, depending on the level. I make sure not to feed to much, and vaccuum the gravel and remove excess.

1) The white haze? Will it naturally pass? I thought with the water changes it would go away, but shortly after a light white haze appears
2) I'm about about 5weeks in, but have i slowing down the cycling process?

I originally tried to start off with zebra danios, but they died within a few days. I then purchased 4 austrailain rainbows, which seem to be doing really great but I know the haze cant be good for them long term.

Any thoughts?

From what it sounds like you are having your ammonia spike. The cloudy water is most likely from your nitrites forming and causing a bacteria bloom. It will pass in time.

Don't vaccuum the gravel until the cycle is finished. This could also be a cause of your cloudy water. You need to letthe bacteria develop in the substrate and when you vacuum it your taking away what is trying to establish.

Do you have a test kit? If not I recommend API master test kit. It would be great if you could give us your parameters on your tank, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and PH levels. Once we know them we can help you a lot more.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have an API test kit. Just took all my readings this morning...My water parameters are as follows:
PH: 7.2
Ammonia: between .25 and .50
Nitrate: ~5-10 (hard to tell exact colors on this one)
Nitrite: .5

The ammonia has been a little higher, but as I mentioned I've been doing frequent water changes to keep the levels low.

A few weeks ago, I assumed this was bacterial bloom, but just thought it would go away a bit quicker.

I should have also mentioned this is a planted tank (and the plants are doing very well, new growths, etc). I've used plant food tabs in the substrate, but the white haze was happening before I added them. But I do leave the lights on ~12-13 hrs/day to accommodate the plants

Quite honestly, I have had aquariums almost my whole life - as a child and into my 20's (cichlids and community tanks) - and after ~10 year hiatus just started this tank (everything brand new) and just dont remember having this issue in the past.

So I guess my question is, keep doing frequent water changes? (i'll avoid vaccuming the gravel) or just let everything spike and hope it subsides soon? Once again, the water isnt super cloudy, just more of a white haze.

Thank you! :)

I had the same problem, and my lfs (in business in same location for 43 years) said to do the following:

1) Lights off, except for maybe an hour a day.
2) Feed tiny amounts once every other day.
3) Stop changing water - fill, treated with Prime if evaporation occurs.

I left for vacation the day after receiving his advice... Left explicit instructions for the person caring for my tank while I was away.

Came home 5 days later to a crystal clear tank, and water parameters as follows:

Ammonia - .25
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - .20ppm

(Had a 30 gallon with 3 convicts (2-3" ea), and a 1.5" dempsey).

Sometimes the best course of action is no action, depending on how hardy the fish you're cycling with are.

Thanks for the advice... Since I had posted this, the water completely cleared up (~3 days later) and it appears by my water readings the tank has cycled.

that is good to know that your tank is finally cycled..just a side note though, since you said you have a planted tank, leave the lights on for at least 8-12 hours a day to avoid having an algae bloom.

congratulations on the finished cycle!

Back
Top Bottom