Question about german blue rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's a relief you think this also, I'll see if the "female" is still playing kiss chase later today when I get in from work then. These fish are still very small I'd say about an inch so may maintain the blue tint for a while.

They look about 4 months old to me.

What age do they begin pairing properly and look to breed?

Starting at about 4 months. Generally right after they get their adult colors, which yours have. Do regular water changes (25% every 2-3 days) and you may likely see spawning activity.

bs6749 said:
Yup, you got it. 100% correct!

I really hope your right because I'm starting to worry. Whenever I look at them closely I start thinking it could possibly be two females... Both seem to have black on the pelvic fins and blue sheen over the black marking.

I've seen males with blue over the black spots and it means nothing. You won't believe me if I tell you, but I CAN see that your female will be wanting to lay eggs within 2 weeks. I know people's rams better than they do without even being able to see them in person lol. Keep up on the water changes and maybe they will get it on for you.

bs6749 said:
Shale is slate.

Actually, shale is a sedimentary rock and is quite soft. Slate on the other hand is very hard in comparison and is the metamorphic result of exposing shale to extreme heat and pressure. Sorry for geeking out.

Haha... Yeah.... I knew all that too hehehe
In any case I got the stuff they labeled as black shale at the lfs. I was able to break it up some and make it fit the way I wanted

bs6749 said:
I've seen males with blue over the black spots and it means nothing. You won't believe me if I tell you, but I CAN see that your female will be wanting to lay eggs within 2 weeks. I know people's rams better than they do without even being able to see them in person lol. Keep up on the water changes and maybe they will get it on for you.

Haha I hope your right! They will lay on any flat surface won't they?

i am hoping mine will want to lay eggs too!! I keep watching but nothing is happening yet. do theynormally lay in the evening or morning??

They will spawn on flat surfaces such as driftwood, plant leaves, rocks, etc. They will also spawn in the substrate, especially if you have a type of sand as opposed to gravel. You will notice when they are ready because both fish will start to clean a spot with their mouths.

They will spawn depending on many factors, but mainly when water changes are done. They typically spawn 2-3 hours after a large water change.

At the minute the dominant one is chasing the other around the tank nearly all the time is this normal?

Do me a favor and change out 20 gallons of water tomorrow and every other day for a total of three-four water changes. Also introduce a flat piece of slate angled at 45 degrees or so where the pair are hanging out near that decoration. Keep the temperature of the water about 80 degrees. See what happens after all of this and report back.

I know people's rams better than they do without even being able to see them in person lol.

Right on schedule for Heather. Congrats.

bs6749 said:
Yes, he may be wanting to pair up and spawn.

For the first time that I have seen today they actually had what appeared to be a confrontation, they squared up to each other and kind of tried to fight each other with their mouths... And now the female has lost all her colour and the male is chasing her constantly... Doesn't seem to be a happy relationship. Don't think I'm going to have the same luck as heather..

And if you guys are right it's actually the female who is more dominant...

Back
Top Bottom