Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-14-2021, 12:12 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Question about Moss balls

I just bought one today for $10 to add to my 20 gallon and I really like it. I understand I can have a few in there, but I'd buy only two more. I'd say it's about 3 inches.

One Amazon, they are selling 2 for $10 and they are small at 1.5 inches. Should I attempt to buy it? Also, does it take a while to grow?

Old 02-14-2021, 07:11 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I had a few at one time. They never grew. Mainly because my crayfish tore them apart and ate them all.

Old 02-14-2021, 10:07 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeGR View Post
I just bought one today for $10 to add to my 20 gallon and I really like it. I understand I can have a few in there, but I'd buy only two more. I'd say it's about 3 inches.

One Amazon, they are selling 2 for $10 and they are small at 1.5 inches. Should I attempt to buy it? Also, does it take a while to grow?

I have three and yes they take awhile to grow. I got mine for wayyy cheaper than what you are saying they are smaller but the two for 10 is a rip off in my opinion try some pet stores or lfs. They do look great though and they are pretty hardy around every month you have to squeeze them(not in the tank) to get out the detritus it will make your tank yucky for a bit if you do it in the tank.
Old 02-15-2021, 12:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Its better in person to buy moss balls. Check them for color and ask to handle them. They can prove to be beneficial but don't waste money on ones you can't squeeze.
Old 02-17-2021, 07:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I suppose I will not buy them from Amazon. Petco sells them for $9.99 each, and I'll check Petsmart one of these days. Nothing else near by. I thought $10 was a bit much too.
Old 03-05-2021, 10:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Moss Balls

They grow r-e-a-l-l-y slowly, as in a fraction of an inch per year, so if you want a bigger moss ball it may be worth it to spring for the size you want now. If it takes the 1-1/2" moss ball five years to become 3" dia, that works out to a $2 per year investment on the big one. Wait - did I do that right? I'm crap at math but hopefully you get the point (insert correct mathematics here)

Tags
balls, moss, question

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com