Question about my new tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jennybo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am a newbie to this sight. I have been looking for a good fish site.

At this time I have a 3 gallon tank and a 1 gallon tank. I have:

2 blue platys & babies
1 orange platy
2 guppies (not sure what kind)

I have had both tanks set up for a while and for my birthday I just bought myself a 12 gallon Nano Cube Deluxe. I can't wait for it to get here but am worried about the lighting set up. My tank is obviously freshwater and the nano cubes are set up for saltwater. I will have to change the bulbs as soon as it arrives but have no idea what kind of single pin flourecent bulb I am going to need. I was also thinking about trying some real plants in the new tank as well. Is it hard to keep them alive?

Thanks,
JB:confused:

Welcome to AA :) Im sure the fish will appreciate a bigger home! Im not familiar with the nano cubes, but if its set up for saltwater, im assuming it has actinic bulbs in it. With plants, you want bulbs that range from 6500k-10,000k. Alot of saltwater setups use 10,000k bulbs, so if you get a mix of actinic and 10,000k, you can just replace the actinics.

Welcome! Just do what rookie said. If setup for saltwater, will have an actinic. Just replace that bulb. Then get plants that are easy to care for at first.

Welcome to AA!

Depending on your light as to how well plants are going to do. As Rookie says, swap out any actinic bulbs for a daylight (6700K) bulb, then add up the watts to see how much light you have to see what plants will be suitable.

This is a list of some super easy plants:
PlantGeek.net - Plant Guide

Thanks for the advice. Yes it comes with the actinic lighting. I will definitely pick up a bulb with 6,700K-10,000K. I hope my platy's like the new tank and continue breeding. They usually have babies every 4 weeks.

Thanks again! :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom