Question about nitrite and nitrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndonmsp

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I'm new to the aquarium hobby (must admit I'm already hooked). Bought a small 8 gallon tank, cycling for two weeks with four little goldfish (I know i should get a bigger tank but wife doesnt approve). Also, being a novice, the pet store owner said it was OK to have that many fish. Should have read up online first.

Anyways, i started to get ammonia readings in the first 5 days, did 20% daily water changes till ammonia is totally gone. I've also hooked up 2 sponge filters and two air stones for aeration. I have a few live plants too.

From day 10 onwards, I'd been doing daily nitrite tests (test tube type) but didnt get any nitrite reading. Then on day 15, which was yesterday, I decided to test for nitrate. To my surpise, i had about 12-25 ppgm of nitrate. Is this an indication of completing cycling?
Why didnt I catch any nitrite before nitrate?

Btw, my ammonia and nitrite levels are still zero when I tested last night. pH around 7.5-8.

Thanks in advance for the help

Welcome to AA! :)

It's possible that the second stage of your cycle happened quicker than you tested. It's also possible that you have Nitrate out of the tap. What are your plans for this tank? As I'm sure you know by now, it's too small for even one goldfish.

I'll have to convince my wife to let me keep a bigger tank soon :p

I was planning to test the tap water later today.

but yesterday, I tested the water and got 25 ppmg of nitrate. then i did a 15-20% water change and that number fell below 12.5.
So i'm thinking it is unlikely that tap water caused the nitrate.

so is it possible to get nitrate before a nitrite spike? I couldnt find that information anywhere on the web

No, but it is possible to SEE nitrate without SEEING the nitrite spike.

I understand convincing the wife, get her hooked ASAP! lol Luckily mine is as obsessed with aquaria as I am. :D

Back
Top Bottom