Question about water changers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AmyD

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm considering buying an aqueon water changer but was just wondering about the temp of the water going in to the tank. Is it ok to fill with coldwater and wait for the heater to warm it up or will this cause too much stress to the fish? I don't have a mixer tap :-S

Just match it so it's similar to the touch. I definitely wouldn't advise putting cold water into the tank.

*Oops, by mixer do you mean you can't get hot or cold water out of the faucet?

You don't have a faucet that combines warm and cold water? How do you wash your hands in the winter without freezing?

You might get away with it sometimes... depends on the temp of the tank and the temp of the cold water. Over the summer, I just used a water hose straight off the spigot on the back of my house... but the water was almost exactly the same temp. If it's within 5 degrees or so, you'll be ok, provided you don't do a 75%+ water change.

We have separate hot and cold taps. I plan on having a new kitchen so i'll have a mixer tap installed then. Oh well i'll have to use buckets in the mean time :-( thanks guys

I'm not sure how far away another faucet would be from your tank...but it's pretty easy and cheap to extend your hose to really long lengths.

You could probably rig something up really easily off of your washer hookups with some tee's, valves, and a wye. Come off the hot and cold both with a tee, run them in to a valve on each one, then run that in to a wye... then get a threaded adapater for a 3/4" garden hose connection... would work for filling.. then just siphon outside or in to a bathtub or commode.

They all have separate hot and cold taps, i think it's because it's an older house. I'm having a new kitchen and bathroom in the new year so i'll have to wait, stupid taps! Lol

mfdrookie516 said:
You could probably rig something up really easily off of your washer hookups with some tee's, valves, and a wye. Come off the hot and cold both with a tee, run them in to a valve on each one, then run that in to a wye... then get a threaded adapater for a 3/4" garden hose connection... would work for filling.. then just siphon outside or in to a bathtub or commode.

That's given me something to think about, thank you i may look into that :)

It might cost you $15-20 in parts, but would save you a ton of work... Not sure how 'handy' you are, but it would be farily simple for an average 'handyman' (or handywoman?).

I do all the DIY in my house just incase my boyfriend has enough of me, then i don't have to rely on anybody else! I think i'll go out and see what i can find tomorrow

Ooh just had an idea, i know of somewhere that sells a shower head with a hose that fits to the separate taps i could just remove the shower head and somehow fix the water changer to the hose, will probably take a bit of tweaking but i think it could work

That's the spirit... IMO, if you don't DIY something for your tanks, you've either got too much money, or you aren't doing as much as you could :)

Too much money is definately not an issue! Lol I'll purchase all the bits and have a go, i think i'll post pics, if i can get it to work, incase others come across this problem

Back
Top Bottom