Question about water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zjovana

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I set up my fish tank on Jan. 2 so it's been about 5 weeks now. I got fish on Jan. 9. I've been doing daily water changes of about 20% because I don't want my ammonia to get really high. Is it ok to vacuum the gravel everyday when I do my water change? I've been vacuuming 1/2 of the gravel everyday. My ammonia is at 0.25, nitrite-0, nitrate-0. Is this normal? Will I start to see nitrite soon?

I would skip the gravel vacuum to once a week so you don't suck up so much of the good bacteria. After 5 weeks, with fish, you should be done with your cycle. What kind of test kit are you using?

cycling with fish takes longer since you dont let the ammonia build up it takes longer for the nitrite and nitrates to multiplying. its fine to do grave vacs but you really dont have to do it as often.

I would skip the gravel vacuum to once a week so you don't suck up so much of the good bacteria. After 5 weeks, with fish, you should be done with your cycle. What kind of test kit are you using?

I'm using the api freshwater master test kit. My ammonia has been constant at 0.25. I will skip the gravel vacuum sometimes. Maybe that's why it's taking my tank so long to cycle.

Back
Top Bottom