Question re: Higher PH in new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mamazgrrl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! I'm a newbie here. I am in the 4th week of a fishless cycle for my 10 gallon tank. My numbers are ammonia .25, nitrite 0, nitrate 5. I have one amazon sword plant. The ph is running steadily at 8.2. Will the fish adjust to this? I don't want to start messing around with the water chemistry if I don't have to. I plan on stocking 7 male guppies and 2 oto cats. Any help would be appreciated.:fish2:

Hi! I'm a newbie here. I am in the 4th week of a fishless cycle for my 10 gallon tank. My numbers are ammonia .25, nitrite 0, nitrate 5. I have one amazon sword plant. The ph is running steadily at 8.2. Will the fish adjust to this? I don't want to start messing around with the water chemistry if I don't have to. I plan on stocking 7 male guppies and 2 oto cats. Any help would be appreciated.:fish2:
Well, yes fish we have are tank breeds so they can adjust to a wide variety of ph levels. The key is consistency. You need a stable ph. Do not try to chase a particular ph level. Mostly fish adjust to ph levels easily except very few delicate fish. Slowly acclimate fish to your tank. Also ask the ph of water from where you gonna buy them. If you are in the same city then most probably the store has the same water supply like you and must have same ph value. Do not use any chemicals in your tanks to lower ph. They result in a ph crash (I had such disastrous experience once). You can add some natural driftwood to your tank to naturally lower the ph or some stones can do that too.

Good luck.

Hello grrl...

A 10 gallon tank is going to present a challenge for you to maintain a steady, healthy water chemistry for your fish. The challenge being there's not much water to dilute a mistake in management. So, to avoid problems down the road, you should plan a sound water change routine for the future, when the tank is established. For a 10 gallon, I'd suggest removing and replacing half the water twice weekly and feed the fish sparingly. This will guarantee a stable water chemistry for the fish and the plants too.

B

I can confirm 10 gallons or less is quite difficult. I wish I’d have known this when I entered the hobby last year. The 10 gallon I have has been a steep learning curve!

Onto a 50 gallon now, hoping it’s an easier go this time around.

Actually I never had issues with a 10 gallon as far as the ph goes but I had problems about gh and kh because of water evaporation since it was a open top tank. But it was heavily planted with carpet so maybe plants were helping maintaining ammonia levels in check.

Back
Top Bottom