Question regarding Gourami for my new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lapintoxic

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I am planning on buying my fish tomorrow for my 20G tank I just finished cycling.

I went to the store today to look at their selection (knowing what I wanted) and see if they have the one I wanted. They have the Pearl Gourami which I wanted but did not have the thick-lipped Gourami. They had the Gold Gourami instead (max size: 4" => is that correct because I heard it should be 6"?).

Anyway, I was thinking getting both types.
The 2 Pearl Gourami they have which seemed to be a male and a female (but I have to look closer)
2-3 Gold Gourami (not sure about if they are male, female or both).

I heard that Gourami should be kept with 1 male for 1 or 2 female. Will this apply if I get 2 different types of Gourami (meaning - will it be an issue if I have a male Pearl and a male Gold with female of both type)? (I guess it will since they are still Gourami).

So, should I get them or is it a bad choice. It has been hard for me to find the fish I want for the size of my tank so any help will be appreciated (I really want my Gourami :)

The only other fish I will be getting with the Gourami will be: few zebra Danios and a brustlenose Pleco.

I can't wait for your replies to see if I should get my fish tomorrow or not.

I would go with one or the other as a pair would fit nicely in a 20. Just make sure you have plenty of hiding places like live plans caves ect. I think 4 would be to many for that size tank IMO.

You could look into dwarf gourami then you could have more and they are less likely to get aggressive

I have a powder blue gourami in my 20 gallon and he was in a 10 gallon with guppies and he was friendly. 2 dwarf gouramis should be fine in a 20

Back
Top Bottom