Question regarding my fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AntonR90

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I just got started with this new hobby a couple of weeks ago, did a considerate amount of reading, decided to go the fishless route. Picked up a 29 gallon and I've had it fully setup and running without fish for the past 2 weeks.

Dosed to 3-4 ppm ammonia with ace hardware ammonia the first day, ammonia stayed pretty consistent for the whole week (which was expected). On day one of the second week I added an AngelsPlus active sponge filter to run along side my fluval 70. I read a lot of great things about these active filters giving a significant boost in cycling, so I decided why the hell not.

24 hours after I added the filter I had ammonia drop from 4ppm to 1ppm. I tested for nitrites and saw 0, went ahead and for the hell of it tested for nitrates and bam 5ppm (I have none in my tap water). I went ahead and re-dosed to 4ppm ammonia and let it sit for another 24 hours. The next day I went ahead and tested everything again, ammonia was back down to 1ppm, nitrites still 0 and nitrates are now about 80ppm.

Is it possible that I completely skipped the nitrite spike part of the cycle. If I'm consistently reading ammonia drops and nitrate rises without any sign of nitrite where exactly am I in the cycle?

You should be getting readings of nitrites. Are you using the liquid test kit? Make sure its in date and shake the bottles before using them too

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How many times did you test for nitrite during the first week?

Nitrite is slowly oxidized to nitrate by atmospheric oxygen, and it is possible that your second filter is adding enough oxygen to your tank to speed up this process. But I agree that it's strange that your readings are showing zero nitrite.

If you get to the point where your tank bacteria are fully consuming 3-4 ppm of ammonia in 24 hours (and producing nitrate), you're done cycling whether or not your tests are giving you nitrite readings.

I see this a lot, and my personal theory is still that you just happened to have your cycle move so quickly, you just didn't catch the nitrite stage.

I've read that the ammonia-nitrite bacteria have different pH and temperature preferences than the nitrite-nitrate bacteria ... so I keep thinking that some people have a tank where ammonia to nitrite goes slowly, but nitrite to nitrate goes very quickly.

How many times did you test for nitrite during the first week?

Nitrite is slowly oxidized to nitrate by atmospheric oxygen, and it is possible that your second filter is adding enough oxygen to your tank to speed up this process. But I agree that it's strange that your readings are showing zero nitrite.

If you get to the point where your tank bacteria are fully consuming 3-4 ppm of ammonia in 24 hours (and producing nitrate), you're done cycling whether or not your tests are giving you nitrite readings.

First week I tested for nitrite 2-3 times, but since ammonia wasn't even dropping the first week, I didn't expect to see any nitrites.

After adding the active filter, ammonia pretty much instantly started dropping 2-3 ppm overnight leaving roughly 0.50-1ppm of ammonia in the tank 24 hours after dosing. When I saw ammonia drop so suddenly, I tested for both nitrite and nitrate. Nitrite came out as 0 and Nitrate came in at about 5ppm.

I went ahead and redosed to 4ppm and the next morning ammonia was back down to about 0.50ppm, no signs of nitrites, but nitrates were now around 40-80 (hard to tell, the oranges are really similar)

I'm guessing my nitrites are being transformed into nitrates so quick that I missed them on the test.

I'm guessing my nitrites are being transformed into nitrates so quick that I missed them on the test.

That is probably the case. On my last fishless cycle I tested nitrites daily and never caught a spike. Only when I tested every 3-4 hours I was able to see the numbers jump up then back down.

That is probably the case. On my last fishless cycle I tested nitrites daily and never caught a spike. Only when I tested every 3-4 hours I was able to see the numbers jump up then back down.

I guess I'm gonna go ahead and dose it back up to 3/4 ppm tonight, if its down to 0 by this time tomorrow, I'm going to do a PWC to drop down nitrates to a safe level and start adding fish slowly.

Fishless cycling.....Im so scared...lol

okay...okay...wasnt going to bother anyone with any questions but the time has come to ask...lol I have a 45 gallon fish tank with everything in it but the water. lol I am doing a fishless cycle but have never done it. For the past few days I have done nothing but reading (actually found the best article on cycling in here) I want to start filling my tank right now...literally.Waited all day because im dont wanna mess it up.. In the article I read it says to add ammonia....I dont have any ammonia, is there something else I could use instead? If not can i fill it up with water and start running everything then add ammonia tomorrow or just wait until tomorrow when I can add it?

okay...okay...wasnt going to bother anyone with any questions but the time has come to ask...lol I have a 45 gallon fish tank with everything in it but the water. lol I am doing a fishless cycle but have never done it. For the past few days I have done nothing but reading (actually found the best article on cycling in here) I want to start filling my tank right now...literally.Waited all day because im dont wanna mess it up.. In the article I read it says to add ammonia....I dont have any ammonia, is there something else I could use instead? If not can i fill it up with water and start running everything then add ammonia tomorrow or just wait until tomorrow when I can add it?

You can go ahead and fill it up with water and have everything running, filter, heater, etc. It'll be completely fine.

You do however need to find ammonia, make sure its pure ammonia (nothing but water and ammonia in the ingredients). Ace hardware is the easiest place to find it, it's called janitorial strength ammonia.

I'm pretty sure you can also drop a tiny bit of fishfood in there and it will put out ammonia after sitting for a while. However I recommend you go find some pure ammonia to use, as its much easier to control dosage.

Okay...Im gonna do it! Here goes nothing..lol Thanks for the help! I know it was probably a "duh" question but at the rate im going with fish tanks, which isnt great, I want this one to work out perfectly. THANKS

If you can locate a Harris Teeter grocery store, they carry ammonia that is dye, perfume, and surfactant free. I picked up a bottle (1-2 quarts) for about $2 and used it on my last fishless cycle.

If you can locate a Harris Teeter grocery store, they carry ammonia that is dye, perfume, and surfactant free. I picked up a bottle (1-2 quarts) for about $2 and used it on my last fishless cycle.

Im assuming we dont have a Harris Teeter where I live since ive never, ever heard of that place...lol I did check a couple places like Rural King and a few hardware mom and pop stores in my area and havent been able to locate any. If im remembering correctly i read somewhere to shake the bottle, if it made bubbles not to buy it. So I didnt. I just went ahead and put a very timy bit of fish food in my tank. Hoping for the best. Worst case scenaro it doesnt work and Ill have to start again...lol....fingers crossed..

Where would I find that at? Like a hardware store? Does it say that excatly on the bottle?

You can find ammonium chloride online here: https://store.drtimsaquatics.com/One-Only-Nitrifying-Bacteria_c_97.html Scroll to the bottom of the page. While you are there, you may want to pickup the Dr Tim's "One & Only Nitrifying Bacteria for Freshwater Aquaria". Bacterial additives can be hit or miss but I have heard of positive feedback on this product.
If you have not read these already, here are some articles on cycling and other useful topics:
Articles to Help you Get Started with your Aquarium http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154837
Good luck!

You can find ammonium chloride online here: https://store.drtimsaquatics.com/One-Only-Nitrifying-Bacteria_c_97.html Scroll to the bottom of the page. While you are there, you may want to pickup the Dr Tim's "One & Only Nitrifying Bacteria for Freshwater Aquaria". Bacterial additives can be hit or miss but I have heard of positive feedback on this product.Good luck!

I'm currently using Dr. Tim's nitrifying bacteria and ammonium chloride solution to cycle my tank. I had 0.25 ppm nitrites three and a half days into my cycle. I'd call that an auspicious beginning.

Before cycling, I suggest adjusting your pH to above 7.5 (if needed) and making sure that your KH (buffering capacity) is near 100 ppm. If you have soft water like I do, adding a half teaspoon of baking soda will help with this. If your pH falls below 7, your bacterial growth will slow. If it falls below 6, it'll stop. (When your cycle is complete, do a 90% water change and your pH will be closer to that of your tap water.) Also, raise the temperature of your tank to 82 F and avoid using ammonia-binding additives such as Prime. Seachem claims that nitrifying bacteria can use the ammonia that Prime binds, but Dr. Tim claims that this is not the case with his bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom