Questions about introducing to tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

picture_117

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I was at the lake today walking around looking for DW, and I found clams and snails, I've heard of people using clams in their FW aquarium. Would they be safe?

and I have assassin snails, could they eat the snails?

I would never plop random clams in my tank, too easy to introduce parasites eek.
Same for snails. If they die in your tank and you don't catch it you can get a big Ammonia spike. JMHO.

I wouldn't chance it either, especially the clams. If you want snails, get them from a fish store, most have them. Clams are tricky too; most aren't freshwater, some are brackish. Plus I think they bury themselves in the substrate so you might not even see them anyway lol. If you really want one, Tropical Freshwater Invertebrates for Aquariums: Freshwater Clamtry this site (I've never ordered from them personally; at the very least they have good info on fish and what their requirements are) and do some research.

Snails are probably ok, I've taken wild snails before since many aquarium species are endemic to here.

Just make sure you know what you are getting and the legality behind it, so that you aren't breaking any laws and you know how to take care of them.

I wouldn't do the clam thing, they are filter feeders and an aquarium really doesn't naturally provide enough sustenance for them, unless you are really serious about taking care of them (spot feeding, etc) I wouldn't do it.

as eco said, the clams arent a good idea. most die in aquaria because thgey dont get enough food. as long as you QT the snails(2 months or so) they should be fine IMO.

Back
Top Bottom