Questions about my first ever tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

insidiousraven

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have never owned fish before, and have decided I really want a tank for my apartment. After reading the introductory guides here, I've decided on a 20 gallon, but still have some questions.

1. The only place I have to put a tank is in a room that has 7 windows. The tank would go near a hallway, but would get a lot of indirect light during the day. Do I need to be worried about algae, and is there anything I can do to help combat?

2. The Idea of running a second quarantine tank doesn't appeal to me at all, mostly because I have absolutely no idea where I would put it, and am not keep to buy double supplies. Are there any quarantine tank guides? Do I need a heater and filter and bubbler and all of that stuff in the quarantine? Do I need to cycle it just like the regular tank and do water changes?

3. Any basic fish community suggestions? I really like the idea of having a school of small fish like those fluorescent fish in different colors. Besides that, I don't really have any ideas. Maybe at least one large, beautiful fish? Trying to come up with my own combinations terrifies me as I don't want to accidentally have fish fighting.

4. What are the best kinds of fish to introduce right after cycling is finished? It seems like a lot of kinds need to wait at least 3-6 months before adding.

That's all I have for now. Thanks so much for your help! I'm excited to get a tank going.

I would stay away from florescent fish for humane reasons - read up on how they make them glow like that. Disgusting.

I really like Cory catfishes (I think everyone does), look into those. I also like swordfishes. Everyone has their favorites. I sure didn't wait for months after cycling. Just go gradually and don't add all bunch at once.

I would consider a 36G Bowfront tank, it is about 30" wide and large enough you can have some schooling fish, nice group of bottom feeders like Cories and Khuli Loaches and not over tax the system. (a 40G breeder tank if you like a flat front tank or a 46G bowfront is even better, both 36")

My suggestion are to go check out your local fish store(s), especially independent ones, and start researching the kinds of fish that you seem drawn to the most. There are many options and narrowing it down with some of your most admired will be good so as you won't always wish you got that "other" fish. Most of the community fish are schooling and have a minimum of 6 (more is better) mean you can be up to capacity very quickly in a 20G. Only able to a have a few types of fish.

There are inverts like dwarf shrimp type tank
Peaceful tropical Community
Cool water fish like White Cloud Mountain Minnows or fancy Goldfish
Semi-Aggressive groups of fish in Tropical varieties
Cichlids in all aspects and types(I am not too knowledgeable on the varieties here) from German Blue Rams(pretty peaceful) to Red Devils(aggressive).

Other options as well

And all kinds of Saltwater...

(And not implying all could be in a 20G :nono:)

As for the quarantine tank, I did not use one in stocking my 55 gallon and I am really kicking myself. I have spent more in medicines and other things to clear up infections, sick fish, and dead fish then it costs for a quarantine tank. You dont have to keep it set up all the time. I have a ten gallon that I am currently using. You can pick up a complete 10 gallon kit at walmart cheap. Basically you need a tank, filter, heater, thermometer, and some sort of lighting (all in the kits -sometimes you can even find one including a heater). I dont use any substrate so you can make sure fish are eating. I picked up a few silk plants with weighted bottoms that I put in for hiding places. If you are worried about getting air bubbles into the tank, lower the water level a bit so your filter doubles as a bubbler. As far as cycling.... you dont need the carbon portion of the cheap walmart filters, you just the need the sponge part. Keep it in the filter of your normal aquarium and then when you need your quarantine tank take out the filter media and place it in the quarantine tank filter and you are good to go! I usually do a water change in my big tank and use that water in the quarantine tank (as long as the parameters are ok) Hope this provides some help!

Not a huge expenditure and not an all time tank but well worth the effort instead of the headaches and heartbreak later on...

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'll address the window thing. I put my new tank in a room with more window than wall on two sides. It's in a solid corner but between a south facing and and west facing window. It gets direct sun for a while and indirect all day. The tank has a t8 single with good reflectors and some sort of bluish bulb (it was purchased used and the bulb was new but no box...) that runs 7-7. I have live plants growing like crazy (the reddish ones are even pinking), happy fish (the neons sunbathe!), and almost no algae after 3 months' time. I put algae covered decorations in it from the old tank where I was constantly at battle with algae and even those are squeaky clean now. So, what changed? Tank size, for one. A six gallon is much more "swingy" with parameters, the 65 stays quite level. Occupants. I have a fat bristlenose pleco and two nerite snails now. One mystery snail too although it seems more interested in the veggies I offer than algae. Plants. Switched from plastic to real and use some Flourish comprehensive as a weekly treatment right now. Location is identical, flake food is identical (using some frozen now, too), tap water hasn't changed. New tank is easier to vac so I probably do a better job of it now. I couldn't tell you which factor did it or in what combination but the difference is astounding to me!

This is all really great! Very helpful indeed.

I've decided to do a planted tank, still a 20gal but maybe a 29 if I can fit it. I really don't have much space.

I went to look at some fish and I know they're not really beginner fish, but I'd love to have one angel. Could I get one of those and then pick some easy other fish to go with it?

Also, I'd maybe like a snail?

I've decided on a quarantine, but I"m really not sure where I'm going to put it. tearing it down when I'm not using it sounds like the best option.

This fish thing is really intimidating! I feel like I could make one wrong move and destroy everything.

I am not an expert on angels but I think a 29 maybe too small for an angel, they need quite a bit of room. Also, the ones I have had in the past can sometimes be jerks and nip at other fish. I prefer a completely friendly community tank so I dont have any now.

Just wondering, how are you planning to cycle the tank? There are some great resources on here for fishless cycling.

I'm still working out all of the details, I'm trying to get all of the information before I start. on a very high level, I assume I'd set up the tank, fill it, plant my plants and start cycling.

If you haven't read these articles here an AA click the link in my signature.

In the article there are details of the cycling process, and other things which are hugely important and useful!

Back
Top Bottom