Questions about Tetra Safestart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TatteredOcean

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! I recently got a 20gal and yesterday I started cycling it but, I'm suuuper impatient and have been waiting nearly half a year to get a tank and I don't think I can wait the several weeks it takes for my tank to cycle. So, after some thorough-ish research, I have found Tetra Safestart and I've read that it usually works but I still have a few questions.

One. Could anything bad happen to my tank if I use it?

Two. I can only find bottles for up to 15gal tanks. Will that amount still work for my 20gal?

Three. How long should I wait to add fish?

Also, I'm not sure if this is important, but I'm getting a female Molly, a male guppy, 2-3 female guppies and a baby female Betta my friend gave me the other day. I know the guppies will breed but I've done a lot of research and I have a LFS that is willing to buy any unwanted guppy fry.

You've been so good waiting! You can do it!

Bacteria in a bottle is at best a temporary fix, and Safe Start isn't the best. A lot of people swear by Dr. Tim's One and Only, but it doesn't *eliminate* the cycle; it just makes it faster.

If you are using a bottle that's for up to 15 gallons, use two. No prob, Bob.

Do you have a test kit? API master test kit is the most accurate and economical. You'll need to test ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates daily. You will also have to add ammonia to feed the nitrifying bacteria.

You can stick it out! Your fish will thank you!

Thanks for your answers, I don't have a test kit 'cause I've heard they're pretty expensive and I don't have a lot of money to use for my tank, but the fish shop near me does free water testing. Also, If couldn't wait and got a fish(I didn't but, my sisters somehow always convince me to get a fish because they know nothing about fish and I'm bad at saying no to stuff) would it be safe to add it in after the Safestart is in for a while or would it kill my fish?

I mean, it's your tank. A test kit costs $30 and has hundreds of tests. It's really the only way to know what's happening with your cycle.

I can't say what would happen with your fish. The Safe Start wouldn't hurt the fish. The ammonia build-up is what would cause problems.

Maybe rethink why you're doing this and if it's even what you actually want. Fish keeping, like keeping any pet, can be expensive. You'll be caring for living creatures. They need things like a healthy place to live, food, sometimes medicine, clean water, and really, again, a healthy place to live. They can't do anything about it. It's up to you to give them a good life.

I like TSS. You cant OD on it. Lots of good threads out there on it. I agreed with nirbhao years ago but I think they definitely work and the products have gotten better over the years.

I am an impatient cycler, too [emoji4]

I like SafeStart, but I don't trust it 100%. I've used it the last couple of times I've set up new tanks and been pleased with the results. It basically insta-cycled the tanks. I added fish and SafeStart at the same time, then kept an eye on the chemistry (tested every 12 hours). I never saw ammonia or nitrite spikes, but nitrates started climbing slowly.

But the stuff does have a shelf life and there's no way to tell just by looking whether it's still "good". That, IMO, is where the test kit comes in: if you test frequently the first couple of weeks, you'll be able to see whether it's working before fish start having trouble.

The down side is that if you get a bad batch (either from a QA problem or mishandling en route), you're basically stuck doing a fish-in cycle.

A better option than safe start, if you truly can't wait, (if you know someone with a healthy, established tank) is to get a piece of filter media from a tank that has been running for some time and put it in your filter or tank for a few days. The filter media will have bacteria already colonized on it, and will give your tank a jump start. It will still take a couple weeks to cycle, however. Try to be patient and not add fish until your water parameters are correct for them: ammonia 0 ppm, nitrites 0 ppm, nitrates <40 ppm.
I can understand your impatience, but believe me: your fish will thank you if you cycle your tank before adding them.

A better option than safe start, if you truly can't wait, (if you know someone with a healthy, established tank) is to get a piece of filter media from a tank that has been running for some time and put it in your filter or tank for a few days. The filter media will have bacteria already colonized on it, and will give your tank a jump start. It will still take a couple weeks to cycle, however. Try to be patient and not add fish until your water parameters are correct for them: ammonia 0 ppm, nitrites 0 ppm, nitrates <40 ppm.
I can understand your impatience, but believe me: your fish will thank you if you cycle your tank before adding them.

Agreed 100%

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

TSS and Dr.Tims are equal products in many opinions. Created by same guy .
There is an expiration date on the bottle to know if it is 'fresh'.
IMO the bacteria in the bottle don't completely die off from being in the bottle.
They go dormant or into a state of hibernation. Once fed,and they NEED to be fed when added to your tank or it is no different then sitting in the bottle.
They will awaken and multiply to effectively help your tank gain the necessary bacteria quicker then without.
I would NEVER trust any store to test my water unless I stood there and watched and they used liquid test.
The store that test for free use strips which just are not as accurate.
The accuracy 90% of the time is not a major player .
Unfortunately the cycle is the 10% where it is the only player.
You need accurate test to know where the tank is at.
You need them during the cycle or risk your fish, money and time...

Hello! I recently got a 20gal and yesterday I started cycling it but, I'm suuuper impatient and have been waiting nearly half a year to get a tank and I don't think I can wait the several weeks it takes for my tank to cycle.

Patience an aquarist's best friend is, Young Jedi. 0X :wink:

So, after some thorough-ish research, I have found Tetra Safestart and I've read that it usually works but I still have a few questions.

One. Could anything bad happen to my tank if I use it?

Two. I can only find bottles for up to 15gal tanks. Will that amount still work for my 20gal?

Three. How long should I wait to add fish?

I haven't used SafeStart, but I know those who have and have found it satisfactory. To answer your questions:

1. Nope.
  2. Buy two.
  3. I'd follow the directions that come with the product, but go light on the fish at the start, to be cautious.

I'd very much advise getting some sort of testing kit; I wouldn't rely on the LFS. The API kit is a good investment, but Tetra Test strips are also quite good. You can buy the small sizes of the ammonia and 6-in-1 tests on Amazon for less than the API liquid kit, and this will get you started. Once your tank is up and going, you can decide which you like best.

Like I said, I haven't used SafeStart, but I have used both Seachem's Stability and Dr. Tim's One and Only with good results. I was especially impressed with One and Only when I had to cycle a tank quickly. Each site has good instructions on how to cycle a tank with their product.

If you have the time and patience, though, SherLar's advice is also excellent: if you can get established media from a healthy tank, take it.

Good luck! (y)

I may need to do this as I've got a new filter (old one was crap). my work has a fish tank thats been running for years... well established. but severely under maintained (I try my best but I don't have the knowledge/equipment/money/time to tend to it... I am in the middle of trying to have a maingaince guy authorised to come in a do a service as I am well out of my depth!) any who..... the tank is in bad nick, amd I know one fish has lost a fin (from fighting or infection I don't knw)
.. if you take media from another tank will you also take potential illnesses too???

Back
Top Bottom