Questions on tanking common goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Iodizedfate

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have two coworkers who are getting ready to move and the both have what I'm guessing are two common goldfish each. One of them has the two fish with a pleco in an unheated 10g or 20g tank (she's not sure) and the other has her 2 goldfish in a 2g tank or something small like that.

They have both asked me if I would take them because they know that I'm into fishtanks.

Here is my question.

I have a 55g tank and figured I could rehome them there until I have a proper home for them. I know that I can't afford to get a tank to fit them so the only option would be to find a new home for them.

Last night I was talking to my wife about it for the millionth time and she suggested that we just set up a stock tank (horse trough) in the garage and just make sort of an indoor, above ground pond.

What size tank would I be looking at to make potentially 4 common goldfish comfortable? I imagine that they are stunted from being in such small tanks and don't know how big they are or how old they are.

I want to spend as little money as possible on this and still have happy healthy fish.

Also I would find a home for the pleco because it wouldn't survive in the cooler water the goldfish need.

A big metal or plastic (plastic is cheaper) trough/tub with some type of filter would work temporarily. My mom actually keeps 1-2 commons in her horse troughs (no filter) & they manage to survive & grow. Cant tell her otherwise!!! Even a new intex/other type of kids pool with a filter would work as well (check out amazon). I would look for something thats holds atleast 200gals. I would def though look into rehoming them in a proper pond in the spring. Hope this helps!

It's fairly common to keep a couple goldfish in the horse tanks. Opinions differ on whether it's good for the horses--for the fish, so long as it's only one or two....well, my horses can drain a 40 gallon tub in half a day if the automatic waterer is turned off, so they're getting plenty of partial water changes. The people that toss 15 or 20 in, yeah, they're going to lose a lot of fish, but a couple is supposed to work on algae, any bugs, and detritus.

Back
Top Bottom