Questions Questions Questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samram0829

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I'm kind of New to The fish hobby so far i LOVE it! I started out with a 10 gallon starter kit and just recently upgraded to a 20 gallon high So now I have an empty 10 gallon. I know there isn't much you can do with that small of a tank but I would like to try out a real planted tank instead of fake. What are some good low maintenance plants that are easy to care for, for a beginner ?
Also was wondering if the following fish would fit in there without being too crowdeD
2 ADFs
5 Shrimp (Ghost or Cherry)
1 Male Betta

Hello!

First things first.. Have you read up on cycling the tank? I always ask this to new people to make sure because some have never heard of it.

Second.. That actually was my setup for a Betta tank but it was a learning experience. Here's why: ADF are carnivores, they like pellets and bloodworms. Over time, my ghost shrimp started disappearing. Since my Betta didn't bother them and I found no bodies.. That leaves the ADF. I wouldn't mix shrimp and ADF.
Next: bettas don't like really colorful fish like guppies most of the time. This goes for shrimp as well. My Betta ignored the ghosts but I've heard many stories of bettas eating/harassing cherry shrimp.

There is plenty of fish you can do in a 10g actually.

Here's all that I can think of just on the top of my head:
-Betta
-ADF
-shrimp
-ACF
-badis(eats live foods)
-dwarf puffer (not a beginner fish)
-neon tetras
-celestial pearl danios (Gorgeous!)
-pencil fish
-dwarf crayfish

And easy plants:
Anubias(tied down not planted)
Some Cryptocoryne species(root tabs)
Amazon sword(root tabs)
Bacopa caroliniana
Java Fern(tied down)
Java moss
Moss ball(shrimp love these!)

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

For a cool little tank, I think you should try:
6 scarlet badis
2 Mexican dwarf crayfish

And for plants:
Anubius
Java fern
Java moss
Amazon sword
Crypts
Limnophila sessiliflora

Thanks! I do know about cycling the tank BEfore putting anY fish And when the tank is Cycled to only add a few fish a week til stocked. I've never heard of some of the fish you listed so time to do more research!

Back
Top Bottom