Quick nitirte question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishDaAx

Aquarium Advice Freak
My tank is cycling and now my ammonia levels are between 0 a d .25 the color is not 100% yellow on my mater test.

My nitrites spikes yesterday to 5ppm, I did a 30% water change and after a day and a half the levels are at 1ppm. Is my cycle almost complete? Or will it be a couple more weeks?
(55g fish in cycle)

As much as i dont like the idea of a fish in cycle, when did you start the cycle? Your cycle is complete when you dont get readings for either ammonia or nitrite.

As much as i dont like the idea of a fish in cycle, when did you start the cycle? Your cycle is complete when you dont get readings for either ammonia or nitrite.

If I would have know before I got the fish what I know know I would not have got them. I am trying my best to make them as comfortable as possible

It's hard to say where you are exactly. When nitrites are that high you need to do larger water changes (50%) and sometimes even more than one in a day to keep them low. If they fell from 5 to 1 in a couple of days without water changes you could be close, but leaving nitrites that high when fish are in there isn't good for the fish. Hopefully you're close but again it's hard to say for sure. Just keep testing and doing water changes when nitrites are over .25. Once they can stay at 0 without water changes then you're done.

It's hard to say where you are exactly. When nitrites are that high you need to do larger water changes (50%) and sometimes even more than one in a day to keep them low. If they fell from 5 to 1 in a couple of days without water changes you could be close, but leaving nitrites that high when fish are in there isn't good for the fish. Hopefully you're close but again it's hard to say for sure. Just keep testing and doing water changes when nitrites are over .25. Once they can stay at 0 without water changes then you're done.

Ok Thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom