quick Q about neon tetras and a 10g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

speedemon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi all,
i'm not new too keeping fish, i have a few fw aquariums running, a 46 gal bow front with two xp3's a 25w uv bla bla the works but i want to set up a small neon tetra tank but i dont really know much about neons and i have never had such a small aquarium.

my Q's;
1) is it ok to keep only tetras and no other fish?
2) how many tetras can i keep in a 10g tank? (i do water changes every week religiously)
3) i plan on having nothing in the tank except the tetras, only a background on the back, no substrate, bare-bottom, no plants fake or live, no drift wood, rocks or decorations. is this ok?
4) the room stays between 72-78* all year, is this ok?

i guess thats all i can think of for now.
thank you

hi all,
i'm not new too keeping fish, i have a few fw aquariums running, a 46 gal bow front with two xp3's a 25w uv bla bla the works but i want to set up a small neon tetra tank but i dont really know much about neons and i have never had such a small aquarium.

my Q's;
1) is it ok to keep only tetras and no other fish?
2) how many tetras can i keep in a 10g tank? (i do water changes every week religiously)
3) i plan on having nothing in the tank except the tetras, only a background on the back, no substrate, bare-bottom, no plants fake or live, no drift wood, rocks or decorations. is this ok?
4) the room stays between 72-78* all year, is this ok?

i guess thats all i can think of for now.
thank you

No expert so correct me if I am wrong. I am going to take a shot at this:

1. Yes. Tetras are a huge school of fish. If you are concerned about just keeping neons then yes you could stock all neon tetras.

2. I would say you could probably keep around 15 in a 10 gallon tank. Neons do not get that big.

3. It would probably be ok, but I would consider at least some sort of gravel as the substrate will hold bacteria.

4. You will not be able to raise tropical fish without some sort of heater. Neon tetras like water to be around 80 F.

Ok thanx that's what I needed to know, can I use black sand as a substrate with them?
Thank you again!

Ok thanx that's what I needed to know, can I use black sand as a substrate with them?
Thank you again!

Sand, gravel anything will be fine.

If possible add the substrate before you add the water. Add a bunch of gravel to a full tank will turn the water to crap until everything filters.

Also remember you are going to need a heater. That should be at the top of your list.

Ill deff be adding the sand before hand lol I know what kind of mess that makes!
I just bought a small 50w heater online so I am set there. Thanx all for the help!

I think you're going to enjoy your neon-only tank! I'm glad that you picked black sand, and I hope you're going with a black background, too. Neons in the wild actually like things dark. Since you don't have plants, consider rigging a moonlight. It will really bring out the striking colors in the neons.

I think you're going to enjoy your neon-only tank! I'm glad that you picked black sand, and I hope you're going with a black background, too. Neons in the wild actually like things dark. Since you don't have plants, consider rigging a moonlight. It will really bring out the striking colors in the neons.

i am deff going with a black background!
sorry for my ignorance but what do you mean by a moonlight?

as i set this tank up i will be posting pics, thanx all for the help!

Moonlighting is something that is mostly used in salt water tanks. A lot of FW ppl use it at night after lights out to extend tank-viewing time without provoking an algae growth.

You can buy moonlighting kits or you can make diy moonlights with blue leds or cold cathodes used in PC's.

EDIT: I found a great video about how to hook one up:

The video is a bit shaky, but he does explain what items you'll need to put one together. If you're a computer nerd (or you know one) you should be able to hook one up pretty easily.

thanx for the info! and i happen to be a bit of a comp geek! lol

i just want to clarify, i was reading in the article section about neon tetras and looking at liveaquariu and it says they should be kept between 68-74... so if my room is between 70-78 is a heater needed, i know for a community tank it should be about 80 but what should it be since this is a neon tetra only tank.
on side note i read that cardinal tetras could use 80 but i am getting neons... money isnt an issue, i just want to set the heater, if i do get one, to the right temp...

I would recommend a temp of about 76/78. I would only go as high as 80/82 for a betta tank. Generally, anything between 70 and 80 is ok for tropical fish. And yes, you'll want a heater so the temp isn't fluctuating 8 degrees during the day. For a 10g a 50W is good.

I would recommend a temp of about 76/78. I would only go as high as 80/82 for a betta tank. Generally, anything between 70 and 80 is ok for tropical fish. And yes, you'll want a heater so the temp isn't fluctuating 8 degrees during the day. For a 10g a 50W is good.

ok cool thanx again for the info. i got a 50w heater on the way so i am set!

Hey speedmom.

I have a small school of neons in my community tank and just love them.

I've always loved a "species only" tank and Neons are certainly one of the greatest.

Remember that they require excellent water quality. Petco sells a kit with three lights (I think they are green, blue and red) in which the LEDs themselves can be placed in the water. You can stick on the glass, or burry in the sand, etc. I've got them and they are very very cool. Not only does it enhance the colors as the fish swim by, but it gives you a chance to see what goes on after "lights out."

Good luck.

Bob

that sounds cool bob!
i was wondering what kind of bulb i should get. it will be a NO 15w and i was thinking either 18,000k or even maybe an actinic bulb, what do you all think will bring out the blue in them the most?

I wouldn't know how to DIY a project like this.

Petco has a kit for around $29 which includes the adaptor which clips on the outside back of the tank, and it's the adaptor which plugs into the wall. The kit includes two bulbs which are enclosed in plastic and are waterproof with suction cups to fit on glass or can place in substrate. The bulbs come with waterproof wiring and can run up to the adaptor, which has space for 3-4 additional bulbs.

I purchased the kit and 1 extra bulb when it was on sale for $30 whole thing.

I have mine set up with blue on left side glass, green on righ side of glass and directed at rocks in the middle of tank, so it gives appearance of two spotlights, and then have the red hidden behind the rocks.
When the main tank light is off it's awesome to watch them swim through the different colored LEDs. They also are more active in that light.

Bob

as far as the main tank light, what would bring out the neon's colors the most, an actinic or a 50/50 or an 18,000k?

Hi speedmom.

I would sort of guess that the main lighting would probably be a matter of your choice, since you don't need for plants and I don't think the fish really care too much as they view light dictated by nature in the wild.

On the other hand, I suppose the majority of tropical fish today are bred here in the U.S. (mostly my own state here in Florida) on fish farms and more than likely have never lived a second in their homeland habitant.

I personally don't see any point in actinic lighting (unless you are planning on developing film underwater) (a little joke there), and I don't think you want to "blow them out of the water each time you put the lights on."

On my 29gal I have actually downgraded to a 17 watt flo bulb. I use the moon lights a lot too. Higher wattages I've used often caused my little guys to go spastic and hide frequently. But, then in Floirida we have a lot of daylight all year round.

Just MHO.

Bob

I have a dual daylight and a 50/50 over one of my aquariums. I find that the light looks overly blue to me especially when taking pictures. I'd probably go for the 18000K of the ones that you are looking at.

thanx purrbox, i was leaning towards that one also, i have it setup on a 20g tank and like the look.

Back
Top Bottom