Quick Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zebbyboy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys, I have followed everything and the tank is setup and ready for cycling and water.

Just wondering, I saw fish food can be used as an ammonia source for the cycle if great amounts are used.

I have a large amount of betta fish food and was wondering if this would acceptable for ammonia or would it have to be flake?

I just feel safer using fish food. I know it might take longer but it seems to me better then using a shrimp or ammonia source. I like the idea.

Just had to make sure that food would work thanks! :)

It will work but will take quite a bit longer than pure ammonia. The fish food will have to decompose first and you won't have control over how much ammonia is produced. Pure ammonia is perfectly safe, as long as it is pure. But if you want to go with the fish food, go for it.

How much longer would it take if a good amount was used? And will it still go through pretty safely with cycling?

Yes a raw shrimp can be used.

The fish food takes a while to rot so the build up of ammonia is slower than just adding 3 ppm of ammonia into the tank.

All of these methods are safe as no fish are in the take as the cycle is being completed.

Last Question. When you mean decompose you mean as the food dissolving within the water producing the ammonia right?

I think it may actually be more than just food dissolving. Think of it as the food has to actually rot. You seem to not care for the pure ammonia method, consider the shrimp method. It is basically the same thing as using your fish food but may be a little faster. You get a couple of raw, uncooked, seasoned shrimp, place them in your tank and wait for them to turn to goop. As this happens ammonia is created.

Just another option.

Back
Top Bottom