Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-24-2017, 05:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Rainbow fish tank

Hey i wanna start a rainbow fish tank and have a pretty decent sized school of red or boesemans rainbow fish, maybe 25-30 total. Does anyone have an idea about what the dimensions of the the tank should be and what setup i should have; filtration, lighting, heating the whole shabang. Any advice would be very appreciated

Old 10-24-2017, 07:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

IMO, That many Rainbow fish should be kept in at the very least a 4 ft. 90 gal. Or better In a 5 ft. 120. Filtration, two Aqua Clear 110's. Heating, an appropriate sized, Eheim Jagger. As for lighting, it depends if you want a planted tank, or fish only. A quality name brand LED fixture.

Old 10-25-2017, 11:35 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

There are small rainbow fish but Boesmani get big. I've got a half dozen in a 90 gallon tank and that's plenty. Twenty-five to 30 would require a 200 gallon tank when they are full grown. A planted tank would be nice and for a large tank, I'd definitely consider a wet/dry filter (sump). And LED for lighting as V227 suggested. 75-80 degrees is fine.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:42 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I also agree I have some rainbows that are going to my 75 and I think in a community 6-8 would be close to ideal in a 90.

Tags
fish, fish tank, rainbow fish, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com