Rams and keyhole together?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Homedog98

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey, I was wondering if it would be possible to have a pair of golden/bolivian rams, and a keyhole cichlid in the same 29 gallon tank. I know your not supposed to keep a pair if cichlids with other cichlids, but since they are so peaceful when not guarding eggs... Could it work? And keyholes are twice the size of the rams, so couldn't it hold its ground?

I would not try it, it is a disaster waiting to happen. They are not peaceful when guarding their eggs. Like most cichlids, they will aggressively attack anyone else who tries and get with a small distance of the eggs. I would just stick to one or the other.

But what about when they aren't guarding eggs? And wouldn't they be just as aggressive to other fish in the tank as they would to the keyhole?

Most times when they are not guarding eggs, they will only be out for food, but at most times they are going keep guard on their eggs. What I was saying about them attacking anyone that gets in a short distance of their eggs.....I was applying it to all the fish.

Back
Top Bottom