Random questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Platiesareawesome

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello! I have a 10 gallon tank cycling (almost cycled, I think) and I have a few questions about the tank:

1. Is a 10 gallon too small for neon tetras?
2. Do I need to have a "hiding place" for the fish, or can I just have live plants?
3. Do you think a fish can survive an hour long car ride? (I found a really cool fish store by my grandparent's house, but they live kind of far away).
4. Do mollies NEED salt in their water

Also, are the following stocking ideas okay? :confused::

1. 3-5 platies
2. 3 balloon mollies
3. 2-3 platies 3-5 neons (I'm not sure if neon tetras need to be in a school)
4. 2 platies, 3 guppies
5. 5 guppies
6. 3 swordtails (I hear these get kind of big...)
7. 6 neon tetras
8. 6 or more ember tetras
9. 6 or more celestial pearl danios
10. 6 zebra danios

Hello! I have a 10 gallon tank cycling (almost cycled, I think) and I have a few questions about the tank:

1. Is a 10 gallon too small for neon tetras?
2. Do I need to have a "hiding place" for the fish, or can I just have live plants?
3. Do you think a fish can survive an hour long car ride? (I found a really cool fish store by my grandparent's house, but they live kind of far away).
4. Do mollies NEED salt in their water

Hi!

1. People are pretty split on this. Personally I think a small school is ok as they're not terribly active for tetras. But I'd recommend a nano schooler first.
2. Just live plants is fine (differing heights, differing bushyness, etc) but things like driftwood go well with plants too.
3. They should be fine. Just mind the temp. You could also bring along a big container or bucket with water. A lot of people use coolers too.
4. No, they're fine in freshwater or brackish.

Also, are the following stocking ideas okay? :confused::

1. 3-5 platies
2. 3 balloon mollies
3. 2-3 platies 3-5 neons (I'm not sure if neon tetras need to be in a school)
4. 2 platies, 3 guppies
5. 5 guppies
6. 3 swordtails (I hear these get kind of big...)
7. 6 neon tetras
8. 6 or more ember tetras
9. 6 or more celestial pearl danios
10. 6 zebra danios

1. Preferably 3 max.
2. No, mollies need 20+ gal.
3. Neons need to be in a school, 5-6 min. I'd say no but it would be possibly with great filtration and big PWCs.
4. Yes, just mind the fry running the tank over.
5. Yes.
6. No, swordtails need 30+ gal preferably.
7. Yes.
8. 8-10 would be fine.
9. 8-10 would be ok, just mind the PWCs.
10. No, zebra danios need at least a 20L due to their ridiculous activity level.

Sparkling gouramis are great nano centerpieces too. Something like 8 CPDs and a sparkling gourami would be great.

Hi!

1. People are pretty split on this. Personally I think a small school is ok as they're not terribly active for tetras. But I'd recommend a nano schooler first.
2. Just live plants is fine (differing heights, differing bushyness, etc) but things like driftwood go well with plants too.
3. They should be fine. Just mind the temp. You could also bring along a big container or bucket with water. A lot of people use coolers too.
4. No, they're fine in freshwater or brackish.

1. Preferably 3 max.
2. No, mollies need 20+ gal.
3. Neons need to be in a school, 5-6 min. I'd say no but it would be possibly with great filtration and big PWCs.
4. Yes, just mind the fry running the tank over.
5. Yes.
6. No, swordtails need 30+ gal preferably.
7. Yes.
8. 8-10 would be fine.
9. 8-10 would be ok, just mind the PWCs.
10. No, zebra danios need at least a 20L due to their ridiculous activity level.

Sparkling gouramis are great nano centerpieces too. Something like 8 CPDs and a sparkling gourami would be great.

Thank you! :)

Back
Top Bottom