RCS and Least Killie 10g Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Galligak

Aquarium Advice Addict
Greetings fellow Earthlings! I just pulled up my 10g from the depths of the basement to my room for redoing:) It currently is home to one male betta that is to be moved to another tank. I figure that I should move all of my fish/inverts from my MAJORLY overstocked 5.5g :hide: to a nice roomy 10g:angel:.
Here's my plan:
NPT with organic dirt covered with black sand
2 13W CFL 6500K bulbs
No heater necessary:dance:
Need to find a filter...
Get a nice big(ish) piece of DW

Fauna:
10+ Least Killies (Heterandria formosa)- give or take a few, plus they're breeding
20+ RCS (Neocaridina heteropoda)- give or take a few, plus they're breeding
Maybe Tiger shrimp (opinions?) or low grade CBS (are they really that much harder, opinions? Experiences? I've read a lot on them, but I really don't feel like I know much.)
Perhaps an Asian Stone Cat (Hara jerdoni)-opinions? Experiences? Once again read a lot, but there's not much on them

Flora (or what I have currently):
rotala rotundifolia
java moss
java fern
Bacopa Carolina
Guppy Grass
Frogbit
Dwarf Sag
Anubais afezelii
Marimo Balls
Cardamine
Hyrogphila sp. 'Tiger'
Cabomba caroliniana
Crypt parva
Crypt ciliata
Wisteria

Current 5.5g Home:

Future 10g Home:

I'd love to hear your opinions/comments on things:) I know that I'm horrible when it comes to aquascaping and such so I know I'll need your ideas/help when the time comes.

Hopefully I'll get going on actually doing things in the next week or two!

I would add a heater to keep the temp stable.
I thought about that, but I tested my water in the 5.5g without a heater for a month or so once and it maybe changed a degree or two, so I'm going to attempt it without. Plus it is away from any vent/heater/fan and I keep my room fairly stable. I have an extra heater at the hand just in case though;) Thanks for the warning!

Looking forward to this build! Good luck :)
Thanks! I think that the hardest part of this will be catching all of the babies! I've seen about 5-6 of them and I'm really not looking forward to that:nono:... Oh well, it's for the best!

It is pretty difficult to catch the babies. I had to transfer some RCS babies from a 30G to a 5.5G and that was VERY difficult. Whatever you do, don't get mad/stressed because you can't catch them. I did that exact thing and it did no good. Just be calm and collective! :)

Quick question for everyone: would a microworm culture be good for the killies? I know, I know silly question but I just want to know. I know that live food is always better for fish than pellets and flakes, but will the microworms be too small? I try feeding them black and blood worms (both live and frozen) but I end up having to scoop them back up and cutting them into 3rds. I thought that maybe since microworms are small they would work better, but they're for fry... I mean I guess I have fry so that'd be a reason, but will the adults eat them as well? Sorry... I have a tendency to ramble!

Least killies and rcs are good in low 70s and upper 60s, so no biggie.

Microworms are great and they'll love them, although they may miss a bunch because they settle on the substrate.

Least killies and rcs are good in low 70s and upper 60s, so no biggie.

Microworms are great and they'll love them, although they may miss a bunch because they settle on the substrate.

Awesome. Thank you so much! I'm ordering a culture right now actually:).

I'm cleaning out the sand right now:

img_2547263_0_15484ce4ccff556f4402dd438a5d2ef4.jpg

img_2547263_1_e4ef26f5abfa26a08d78d8835c03b63d.jpg

And I pulled out all of the plants from the two tanks. It's was pretty sad to see all that work pulled out...
img_2547263_2_11012cebb5975fc6d6f7bfdb55a0db22.jpg

Goal tonight is to get all of the sand completely clean and maybe get it in:)

Cool! I had a vision just like it seems you did about a 10 gallon tank! Setting up new ones are always fun! Good luck, and will be following.

Cool! I had a vision just like it seems you did about a 10 gallon tank! Setting up new ones are always fun! Good luck, and will be following.

Thanks! It's definitely an interesting combination. My tank always seems to be full of life:)

Ok, I took down the 10g completely. The sand is mostly ready to go in it. Took out all of the least killies and RCS. I counted the killies and I have 20:)
About to go clean out the rest of the 5.5g and then get everything in that one then do the 10g!
img_2548151_0_80da4d39b33f4902ae4abd124a95477c.jpg

img_2548151_1_031d88b4016644c25c339d4c5c76824e.jpg

img_2548151_2_b9e449b78cb00caef2965c8d4900d876.jpg

(Forgot to add pictures!)

Back
Top Bottom