Re-Scaping tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ItzKyle87

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 75 gallon tank I want to re scape. Not so much the substrate but just add new decor (plants rocks wood) and change the placement of ones I keep in. Is that something I need to take the fish out of the tank for? Or can this be done with them in it?

Also... would it be smart to soak the new decor in tank water before adding to the tank? Or is that not really a big deal. Thanks for any advice!

Ive completely rescaped tanks, including new substrate and planting with fish in before. Just be careful how you do it.

Just rinse off anything in water, doesnt really matter if its tank water or tap water.

Be aware that any new wood will float for several weeks or maybe even months and leach tannins. You can presoak before putting into your tank until it gets fully waterlogged, or weigh it down. Boiling the wood can also help, its a good practice to boil wood anyway, although ive never bothered and never had an issue.

I always re-scape with my fish in- it's way too much of a hassle to take everybody out.
Only problem I've ever had was picking something up and not realizing my pleco was attached to it- so just make sure you don't smoosh anybody. :lol:

Hi again Kyle, I personally like to take my time when I go to do a re-scape in my tank, so I remove all the water, decoration and carefully also the fish and start from scratch, it's a process of hours, yes you are going to place a couple of layers of substrate for plants just imagine your fish enduring the turbulence of the water while you place everything, that is stress for all of them, I prefer to have them apart while I build the aquascape with patience.

Back
Top Bottom