Reading water hardness sample

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mt430

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
First time aquarium owner here, and I just finished testing my tap water after leaving it out in a glass for about a day. The test went smoothly, but I have a question about reading my water's hardness level

So when I do the hardness test, i'm supposed to count the number of drops it takes to turn the water from red to green. I put in the first drop, and it made the water a faint red, second drop made it fairly clear, then every subsequent drop made it greener and greener until I stopped at 8 drops

How am I supposed to know when it's the right shade of green? Am I supposed to stop when it turns slightly green like it did at 3 drops, or keep counting until the water's a darker green? They don't seem to be quite clear in the instructions. The kit I used is the Tetra test Laborette

Thanks!

P.S. The other test results if anyone is interested (pH: 7.5 Ammonia : 0.25mg/l, Nitrites: <0.3mg/l

Most titration test kits if they are decent will have a very noticeable change from one color to another, but they are all a bit subjective. In this case, I would read the test when the change first occurs, from red/clear to no red & slight green.

Thanks for the help fort! I'll call the test result a 3.0 and go from there

Back
Top Bottom