Ready to give up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the variables would have to be the background or the Cichlid substrate. You might want to research the brand a bit more. After a quick google search, there's plenty of products that advertise buffering your water up to 8.5.

Its Caribsea African Cichlid Mix Sahara Sand, It does contain aragonite, they don't say what else it contains on their website though.
CaribSea African Cichlid Mix | Congo River | Sahara Sand |Iivory Coast Sand | Ivory Coast Gravel | Rift Lake Authentic

Here the Data sheet for the product I used:
http://www.sika.com.au/cmc/Datasheets/tds/SikaTop-107Seal.pdf

The DIY stuff is over my head, lol. I can't find claims about your specific product...but I did find lots of discussion on other forums about people using a mix of CC and either aragonite or other substrates like you have to bring the pH well up into the 8'ish range.

The DIY stuff is over my head, lol. I can't find claims about your specific product...but I did find lots of discussion on other forums about people using a mix of CC and either aragonite or other substrates like you have to bring the pH well up into the 8'ish range.

ok well that explains the PH portion, thanks for the info.

Have you tried to keep a fish in strictly dechlor tap water?? I'd think one way to tell if you've got some form of contaminant is to completely remove the tank from the equation....I'd take some tap water like you're gonna do a pwc, de-chlor it, then acclimate a fish and see what happens....if it dies then there's something in the tap water itself, if it doesn't, you got an issue in your tank/background

Have you tried to keep a fish in strictly dechlor tap water?? I'd think one way to tell if you've got some form of contaminant is to completely remove the tank from the equation....I'd take some tap water like you're gonna do a pwc, de-chlor it, then acclimate a fish and see what happens....if it dies then there's something in the tap water itself, if it doesn't, you got an issue in your tank/background

That is a theory but I havent had any issues with the tap water prior to the the build when I had my parrots in the tank and using tap water for the GD that lived in the garbage can during the build.

Crap didn't think about that deep enough. Its gotta be something in the tank then....I know its prob not the cause but gotta ask, when are you testing your ph? At different times each day or the same time. Its normal to get ph swings between morning and night, sometimes they can be great enough to cause deaths. Just brainstorming

I went through and I can actually tie each set of deaths to something different not attributed to the background, so I am hoping that is the case.

Well here's my experiment to see what caused the high PH.

Cup with cichlid sand, cup with crushed coral and a bowl with a "rock" like the background is made out of.

Attachments

• image-3559763349.jpg
    image-3559763349.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 81
Mogurako said:
Well here's my experiment to see what caused the high PH.

Cup with cichlid sand, cup with crushed coral and a bowl with a "rock" like the background is made out of.

4th cup with both Cichlid sand and CC?

Mogurako said:
I think i will be able to determine if the combo of sand and CC added together made the water that hard by the results of the individual cups.

Cool I'll be following :). I'm always up for experiments.

So Petsmart (I know boo-hiss) has their mixed Africans on sale so i went and picked up 3 juvi what I belive to be Kenyis. They have been in the tank for 11-12 hours and seem to be just fine. They are still hiding in their caves allot but that is to be expected from new fish, I'll leave the lights off for a few days to reduce stress. I have been keeping a close eye on the ammo and it is staying at 0-.25

I have officially passed the point of longest for fish to be alive! *dances*

Results of ph test after 24 hours.

From left to right sand, crushed coral, back ground.

Attachments

• image-1720209835.jpg
    image-1720209835.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 90
Back
Top Bottom