Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-16-2018, 07:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Unhappy Really Frustrated

Hi,

I have tried cycling my tank for 2 weeks using the food methood and no where. So I decided to get Dr. Tims one and only but 3 days mater my ammonia is still at 1 ppm and my nitrites are at 5 ppm. Also my ph is at like 8 and I need it to be at 7. So i added some cholla. And some more cholla. And some more. I still have 8 ph and I now have 6 chollas in my tank. Also my snails died bc dr. Toms said to add fish right away. Im really frustrated please help me.

Anthony

Old 12-16-2018, 09:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you have a reading of 5 for nitrites then your tank is cycling. Cycles usually take a month or more unless you are using seeded filters. Your tank has started the nitrite part of the cycle so now just keep up what you are doing and soon you should start getting a nitrate reading. Ph is not a major worry. Most fish will acclimate to a higher ph fine.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatnad View Post
If you have a reading of 5 for nitrites then your tank is cycling. Cycles usually take a month or more unless you are using seeded filters. Your tank has started the nitrite part of the cycle so now just keep up what you are doing and soon you should start getting a nitrate reading. Ph is not a major worry. Most fish will acclimate to a higher ph fine.
OK so in a week or so I should see the number I want? I have some fish in there rn. Should I take them out? Lastly this is gonna be a shrimp tank so I cannot have 8 Ph. Do u know how to lower it?
Old 12-17-2018, 02:07 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cycling can take up to 2 months. If you have fish in then you should keep the ammonia at .25 ppm. This may require water changes every 2-3 days.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Smile Use the right food

The previous posts are correct. Cycling can take some time. You definitely want to use the food method. I use food that I would feed my fish to cycle the tank. Dont use a cheap food that has fillers because it will not break down properly. Sea Diamond makes a food that works great for cycling and feeding. No additives and will expeditie the cycling process. Check it out: https://www.ebay.com/i/264088773561?chn=ps

It's pretty cheap for how good it works.

Goodluck!
Old 12-18-2018, 06:50 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anto26 View Post
OK so in a week or so I should see the number I want? I have some fish in there rn. Should I take them out? Lastly this is gonna be a shrimp tank so I cannot have 8 Ph. Do u know how to lower it?
Ah you are doing shrimp. Only ways I know to get pH down is driftwood, using a substrate that will help to lower it or using chemicals like pH down. The latter option is not a really good option to go with though. Maybe some of the gurus on here with have more options for you.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:46 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Some other options to lower pH....C02, add peat moss to your water filter basket, almond leaves, or use distilled/RO water.

Tags
ate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com