Rearranging my stock and could use some opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smilemadeofsun

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all, thank you for always being a good place to turn to for advice. I currently have a 46 gallon cube set up with 15 serpae tetra, 1 angelfish, 2 Red Rainbows, 2 GBR, and 5 Sterbai Cories, and a (currently) empty 10 gallon tank. I was having an issue of my serpaes nipping my angel and want to move them and get a more appropriate stock in there for my angel.

I just recently got a 30 gallon second hand set up for free (I just need to buy a filter, and I've already let it soak overnight with a 10% bleach 90% water solution twice to disinfect and check for leaks) so I am getting ready to set it up and get it cycling so that I can rearrange my fish. I really have been liking rainbowfish a lot lately so I want to include them somewhere. I was thinking of this for a stock list, let me know what you think:

46 Gallon Cube w/ Rena Filstar XP2
1 Angel
5 Boesemani Rainbows
5 Red Irian Rainbows

30 Gallon w/ Aquaclear 70
15 Serpae Tetra
2 GBR
5 Turquoise Rainbows

10 Gallon w/ Aqueon Quietflow 10 (sand substrate for cories)
5 Sterbai Cory
1 Dwarf Gourami

According to AqAdvisor I am not looking at anything unreasonable with the filtration that I have. Does this stock sound ok to you, or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Again, this is the stock that I have now that I have to work with:
15 Serpae Tetra
2 German Blue Rams, M/F Pair
2 Red Irain Rainbowfish
5 Sterbai Corydoras
1 Angelfish

Hi smile!
I don't have experience with all of the fish you mentioned, but I'll contribute what I can:
I agree with separating the serpae and angel, angel should stay in the biggest tank. I wouldn't do boesemanis (or other larger sized rainbows) in either tank just because they're very boisterous and appreciate a lot of swimming room, but that's just my opinion. Since you have the two reds already I would stick with the largest tank for them, and they appreciate groups. I wouldn't put the cories in the ten gallon, they really appreciate more of a footprint to scoot around in, so I would say the 30 would be more appropriate. I've never kept rams so I can't speak to their compatibility with the other fish you have. If you really want more rainbows, look for threadfins or furcata or other small blue eyes species for the 30 maybe?

Hey thanks Eggheadfish! I have actually decided to go with a totally different set up, I am keeping my 46 gal obviously but am looking into getting a 75-150 gallon tank very shortly. My angel and the rainbows would be in there where they would have plenty of swimming room, and I would leave the 46 gallon for my serpaes to play in. Does anyone know of any good tank mates for serpaes? I need something that can definitely hold their own, but not something that will kill them all either.

Hey thanks Eggheadfish! I have actually decided to go with a totally different set up, I am keeping my 46 gal obviously but am looking into getting a 75-150 gallon tank very shortly. My angel and the rainbows would be in there where they would have plenty of swimming room, and I would leave the 46 gallon for my serpaes to play in. Does anyone know of any good tank mates for serpaes? I need something that can definitely hold their own, but not something that will kill them all either.

Other fiesty Tetras or Barbs.
Tiger Barbs in a large group like 10
Skirt Tetras
Red Blue Columbian Tetras

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks Coursair! I really love how Tiger Barbs look but was always worried about their aggressiveness, but having them in with Serpaes would be perfect!

Back
Top Bottom