Recommendations for fish in a college dorm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kettlefrog

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! I recently joined this site, since lately I've been doing more research on keeping fish. I've had a variety of fish over the years, but currently just have some corydoras :)

I'm going to college this fall and would like to have some fish, so I'm currently seeing what the best options are for me! I'm planning on having a tank in my dorm, and the only limitations are that the tank is freshwater, and can't exceed 12 gallons.

I was thinking about maybe a ten gallon tank, with one or two gourami and possibly a smaller pleco, but I've considered a lot of other options as well! I'd make sure to have a good filter and choose the right orientation for whatever fish I got (i.e. more horizontal vs vertical swimming space for the fish). I'd prefer to have some kind of cleaner creature as well (snails, plecos, cory catfish, etc.) I'd also prefer hardier fish, since either my roommate or I will try to bring them home over long breaks.

Any advice or opinions? I'm open to anything :)
(Also, this is my first forum post and time using this site, so bear with me while I learn to navigate it!)

Welcome! You've already got some good ideas. Hopefully more people will weigh in with fish compatibility suggestions. Having a cleaning crew is always good.

As far as traveling them home on breaks, I'd suggest a little one gallon tank (or more than one as needed) for the trips. Put the minimum in there, like one or two plastic plants anchored in substrate, for a place to hide. Nothing floating (put floating things in when you reach your destination) so they don't get bashed by it in transit.

They'll be fine for 1-3 weeks. I've done it. Remember to match temperatures between the home tank and the smaller tank so they aren't shocked; so, thermometers in all tanks.

Snails will be okay left in the main tank, just put some pelleted food down before you go.

It's interesting how fish delightedly explore their home surroundings when they get back in there after a trip. They do have memory.

One way to transport the travel tanks is in canvas grocery-type bags or beach bags.

I think you’re on the right track there. Couple smaller breeds of gourami (some get pretty big, not a good choice for a 10gal tank) and I’d personally go with a bristlenose pleco as they’re one of the better algae eating plecos (a male one too preferably, as they tend to be smaller than the females). I’d probably throw in a snail too just because who doesn’t like snails? A Nerite snail or 2 just to add something different and they can fend for themselves while you’re gone (Nerite snails can’t breed in freshwater either)

As far as transporting them, there’s lots of options and opinions out there but a simple pail with a lid and a few air holes and an air stone/pump will be pretty safe and spill proof. These days it’s not the end of the world if you do have to leave your slimy friends behind, an auto feeder, light timer and they’re set as long as the water parameters can hold out till you get back. I end up having to let my tanks fend for themselves a couple weeks at a time while I’m gone to work, I use auto feeders and change water before I leave and I’ve had no issues. I think I’d rather let the auto feeder take care of things rather than having someone else try to feed them while I’m gone lol

Back
Top Bottom