Recommended Starter Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PBirdsong

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I'm wondering what species out there is good for starting the cycle. I've heard goldfish and a specific Tetra. What else is out there?

BioSpira =o)
Its an instant cycle product that way you don't have to hassle with returning fish, or getting attached to fish you didn't want

biospira is good, but you probably wont want goldfish they have really bad ammonia problems because they create so much waste......platties, danios, white clouds, guppies, small tetras, neons and other small fish....but only start with 2 or 3...also depending on the size of the aquarium is how many fish to add to start the cycle.....good luck! :D

not neons, neons are touchy and sensitive.
May I reccomend fishless cycling? If you can't get pure ammonia, some fish food sitting there will work . And then accompany with biospira

Fishless really is the way to go. It cycles faster and you don't have to worry about killing your fish or causing perminant damage. I agree with Blucat, Neon's should not be used for cycling.

Actually at my first go at this aquarium stuff I bought 10 neon tetras after a week of letting the tank sit and I cycled with them. They all survived and were happy and healthy even in ph8 water which was hard, not soft. Eventually I killed them because I did too much water change

Could I suggest fishless cycling? Knowingly subjecting poor fish to harmful and unsatisfactory conditions IMO borders on sadism and animal cruelty.

I'd try and get an old filter from someone and place it in the tank and put about 5 - 6 drops of pure ammonia in the tank (ACE hardware). If no ammonia is available I'd still use an old filter and then do what Blucat suggested. I'm a little concerned that you listed only a UGF in your post. I'm not sure a UGF alone is enough. I've only used a UGF in conjunction with a HOB power filter. I got rid of the UGF and went with all HOB power filters. I've never cycled with just a UGF.

You could also try calling your lfs and see if they will give you some water or gravel. Maybe even sell it. You never know. It would speed up the cycle time. BUT fishless cycling is the way to go. Don't subject fish to that kind of up and down water quality.

Well, you can use fish without an established biologic filter if you use VERY FEW of them. Your tank will look very empty during the cycle. With only a few fish, the ammonia increases caused by the very few fish will be kept up with by the deveoping bacteria colonies. I can't stress enough, that you can only use a very few fish, and the process will likely take 6 weeks. I wuould still pick hardy fish like Platy or Zebra Danio in case. You can view my opinion of the topic at:

http://home.comcast.net/~tomstank/tomstank_files/page0017.htm

This assumes a totally new set-up. I am in favor of fishless cycling, its just that you have a number of weeks with a giant square test tube. If you responsibly use fish, it is ok. If you don't have the patience and discipline to feed lightly and not add too many or more fish, don't use fish.

lyquidphyre said:
BioSpira =o)
Its an instant cycle product that way you don't have to hassle with returning fish, or getting attached to fish you didn't want

I agree with lyquidphyre. BioSpira is the way to go. I've done some reading and asked a lot of questions about this product since there was another thread about this. The only thing with BioSpira is that you fully stock your aquarium after putting in the correct dose.

The one thing to remember is make sure you follow the directions. Adding in enough BioSpira for your size tank. A little more never hurt anyone.

raw shrimp from the grocery store for fishless....just let it be for a couple of weeks and you're done...that way you dont have to worry too much about dosing ammonia all the time nor water changes...worked for me.... :mrgreen:

also...you would want to get a test kit to see whats going on...AP freshwater master test kit os a good one and its not that expensive....HTH :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom