Reconized my mistake early and have new fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bdp242

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I am only 6 weeks into my aquarium, and I have been feeding my fish too much. . . My amonia level was going down and had it real low and now it is back up. My tank has an odor coming from it. I used the siphon to clean the gravel and I did a 15 percent water change today. In addition, one of my fish had babies. SO i now have like 7 babies in a breeder in a ten gallon with 5 other platies. . . Will the babies contribute alot to making the amonia to go up?

Thanks Hholly... I'm gonna change out more of the water! Petco people I talked with are't all that smart after all!

Yeah, people in fish stores, especially the big chain stores, are notorious for giving bad information. Welcome to the club. :)

Thanks. They kept saying never change your water within the first few months. According to those articles, there is no such thing as too many water changes

I think that's why so many fish tanks appear on Craigslist for cheap. People follow that kind of advice. Their fish all die. They get discouraged, and quit the hobby.

I'm glad you found this forum. There are plenty of people here who have been through the same thing. And plenty of people willing to help you succeed. Ask as many questions as you want. happy fish keeping! :)

I might look into some of the aquariums on craiglist..... I'm sure just a little bit of cleaning up and they are mostly good!

Thanks! I have a bunch of babies I put in a breeder.... Like 7 or 8 in a 10 gallon.... I think it might be better to let them loose and let the others eat them.... what do you think?

Its cool! I changed out alot of water so hopefully that will help my tank! I don't want an overpopulated tank!!

Excellent links, Hholly. Those were really helpful. Thanks!!!

Thanks! I have a bunch of babies I put in a breeder.... Like 7 or 8 in a 10 gallon.... I think it might be better to let them loose and let the others eat them.... what do you think?

it is ok to do the "survival of the fittest" if you want to. that is what I am doing. the only thing I would say is give the little guys a fighting chance. make sure you have lots of hiding spots for them. I got some of the fake grass stuff, cut it into sections and have some floating upside down on the top of the water and some I put in the gravel so they can hide up top or down low. they still might get eaten, but you will probably have babies again( if you have a boy and a girl) and so you might as well set up your tank for them. I figure if even one or two make it through it is still fun. my molly fry are now one month old - they are so cute!! actually really looking like mollies now! it is so much fun to watch them grow!! I say set them loose and see what happens. of course the longer you keep them separate the better chance they will be too big to eat... :hide:

Back
Top Bottom