recycling 10 gal. PH crash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildroseofky

Aquarium Advice Addict
I set up my 10 gallon again and I am having to recycle it. I had the filter running in a 29 gallon cycled tank but when I switched it back to the 10 gallon the tank didn't stay cycled. I am now having to do a fishless cycle. Right now I am going through the Nitrite phase. My Ph has crashed big time. I did two pwc and no help. I added crushed clam shells, waited a few hours and checked ph. It didn't raise. I picked up some limestone gravel and added a handful to tank and some to filter waited a few hours and got only a little rise in PH. I gave up and added a little baking soda and got the PH up to 7.4. I cannot find coral anywhere within 35 miles of me. Any ideas why I cannot get the PH to stay up? Tank has Ludwigia and money wort in it. Hoping to get it cycled quick to put some molly fry in.

I went to the only pet store in my area. It is a small time place without a lot of
choices. All she had was bottled PH adjuster. I wasn't sure about using it. Plus it was $10 for a small bottle seemed really high. I had to give $10 for a bottle of cheapo chlorine remover. Stuff I can get at a Walmart for a little over $3. I should have ordered some from Dr. Fosters and Smith when I placed my pet supply order this week but it wasn't a problem then. The water company has done something to our water supply again and the ph is way down right out of the tap.

Same for me, ph is now 6.4 with numerous water changes. These did not help.

Thats a bummer!! you could try the buffers. I really don't like to use them but if it's the only thing available....... I would order the smallest bag of crushed coral you can find online. I know it seems crazy but even the coral you use in your tank will have to be replaced every few months. So having a ten or twenty lb bag handy isn't all that crazy

Back
Top Bottom