Red Blood Parrot Question (shy, wont eat, wont leave corner)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bez

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone. I have a red blood parrot in a tank with a tiger oscar both are about 4-5 inches long and have only been in the tank for 2.5 weeks. The tiger oscar is swims around, follows my finger, eats regularly and is doing completely fine. But the red blood parrot will not leave the corner of the tank. He hides behind a dragon I have sitting in the corner and lays on the rocks or against the dragon, sometimes partially sideways looking half dead. Sometimes when he is just laying on the bottom he looks like he is almost hyperventilating. The blood parrot has not eaten in the entire two weeks I've had it and I'm starting to get worried that it will starve itself to death or something. He was the most active fish at the store I bought it from and was behaving the total opposite of what it is now. I know blood parrots are shy in a new tank for a while but I thought since he is a bit bigger than the tiger oscar that he wouldn't have a problem. Ive noticed that when I turn off the light in the tank that sometimes it will come out and have a swim but it still wont eat the pellets or minnows. Ive tested pH and everything else and the water is fine. Is there a problem with my fish or is this behavior normal? Also any advice on getting my fish to eat would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

It's not unusual for parrots to hide for months in a new tank. Blood parrots can get over their shyness, however, they are fearful of predators, which is what your oscar is to it. Parrots have no defensive mechanism if the predator should choose to attack. You will probably continue to have issues and the stress could possibly make your parrot ill.

What size tank and are these the only two fish?

It is a 60g tank and i do have a convict cichlid in their as well. Hes been in there longer and is a tad smaller than the blood parrot, about the same size as the oscar.

In this situation, size does not matter..... it's the personality of the fish that matters. You've got two aggressive species in with a non-aggressive species. Personally, I don't think it's a good idea. Now, you've got two predators. If it were my tank, I'd return the BP.

LyndaB said:
In this situation, size does not matter..... it's the personality of the fish that matters. You've got two aggressive species in with a non-aggressive species. Personally, I don't think it's a good idea. Now, you've got two predators. If it were my tank, I'd return the BP.

It can be aggressive individual on a non-aggressive individual because some parrot could terrify the oscar in some other case!!

But if the scare fish stay stress for to much time i agree he could catch something bad there!!

My 2 cents!!

I know my parrots puffed up their chests big time when I put my featherfin in the tank. Of course, there's safety in numbers and it was three against one in that case. The cat never responded to their hounding him and they grew tired of the chase. Now they know to leave him be.

mine are doing the same thing. barely eat, always hide....they are driving me nutts...

I have a blood parrot and tiger oscar in a tank. The BP does the same thing. Hides in the corner. However when I walk into my room I see that he's swimming around but the second he sees me he dashes back to his hiding place. I've had them about a week.

Another point I want to make is that my oscar and parrot are good friends I'm fact my oscar will swim and float next to him for hours at a time side-by-side. I have a sailfin Molly in there that my oscar jolts at if he gets too close.. But as far as the BP and oscar go they get along fine. I just find it interesting that my parrot is so shy to me

Have yall tried leaving the lights of for 24 hours or so? Thats worked for me in the past a few times. Sometimes the light brightness can seem taunting to them. Give it a try. Anytime I get new fish I normally leave the lights off for 12 hours no matter the time of day. I feel it helps the move a little more

I leave the lights off during the night and when I see them they seem to be more active

Try a 24 hour cycle. It may help them to be more aware of what you do during the day so they dont act fearful. From the sounds of it, they are fearful of you. You have to make them know your not going to hurt em. Do you feed your oscars by hand? If not try that as well. The BP will see your hand and realize your not gonna harm them. Fish are smart try feeding the oscar with the lights off as well

Have you guys found it ok to have oscars and parrots as tankmates? I have 1 of each with plenty of hiding places I just want to be sure they will get along once they grow larger

Some can. Ive never seen a set up like that because they both like to be dominant. Its all gonna depend on the fish

Blood parrot question! I have an opportunity to pick up a 2nd parrot. Right now I have a tiger oscar and parrot in a tank.. Should I do it? Do parrots tend to be happy in a pair??

Back
Top Bottom