Red Crystal Barb - Also know as the Odessa Barb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquachic4545

Aquarium Advice Regular
Quick question, anyone have any experience with these types of barbs? I saw them at the smaller LPS (they carry the unusual stuff) and I was thinking of picking up a small school. I just thought I'd ask and see if anyone had any experience with them....ie...

What do they seem to like to eat the most?
Are they temperamental?
Does it matter if they don't have any females in the store? (only males)

Yes, I can read about them but I'd like to see if anyone has any personal comments about them. :fish2:

Monica

this is what i found researching this variety of barb.. every site i looked at said pretty much the same thing
so i hope its correct and it helps :)

What do they seem to like to eat the most?
high quality tropical flake food or granules as a base, and occasional treats in the form of live, freeze-dried or frozen worms, shrimps, daphnia etcetera. Beef heart is also appreciated.

Are they temperamental?
keep them in a group of no less then 5 fewer then 5 could result in shyness
there temperament is lively but peaceful

Does it matter if they don't have any females in the store? (only males)
Not that i have read anywhere everything that i have read / heard about just points to keeping them in a school of 5 or more to avoid stress and shyness

I have a school of 10 Odessa Barbs in my 55 gallon... 2 males and 8 females, and they seem to be getting along great! They eat flake food as well as the occasional algae wafer or sinking pellets. They will also pick the dead bits off the plants in your tank if you have any. At first when I got 5, they ended up being all female. They argued (fin nipping and shoving) until a dominant female was established. I went to get my other five and ended up with two males in that stock.. INSTANT HARMONY. Those ladies will fight amongst themselves until they have a few good men to keep them in line haha.

I would definitely not go with all males. A mix with more females is ideal.

When I got them they were about an inch long and they are growing quite quickly! They're wonderful to watch, and I think the males and females are equally pretty, although the males definitely draw more attention. :) If you have any other specific questions feel free to ask.

Go for it! They're no different than other Barbs in terms of what they eat .. which is practically everything and how they behave ... keep them with other Barbs( in groups of 5+) the more the better, with a good Male to female mix. I have two Males in a tank with other types of Barbs and get along fine. The males have the more vivid colors. They'll lose that color when their being transported, but after a few hours to days in their new tank, you'll see their colors show.

I will say that they aren't as aggressive as other barbs and they leave my other fish alone. :)
I do have a semi-aggressive tank, though.

Cool! Right now, the only issue is I didn't see any females in their tank. Hmmm. Well, she did say they tend to get more in stock. I'll ask and see if they are getting a new shipment soon. I would like to small group of five. Thanks for the advice!

I'd get six to keep the numbers even. They can make one the "outsider" of the group. Good luck! They're fun fish, and they get to a good size too!

Weird. My LPS said I didn't need that many and that I could easily have three males. Well, I gave it a shot and they seem to be doing fine. Ironically, I have another type of barb in the aquarium and they seem to be schooling regularly with them which is kinda cool. Guess being in the same family works out.

Back
Top Bottom