Regarding pwc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nw968

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a question about water treatment and pwc. If I have an ro system, is it suggested that I still treat the water prior to putting it in the tank or will the ro system take care of the conditioning for me?

Thanks.

The RO should have basically nothing in it so there would be no reason to treat it. I would use the RO for topping off the tank unless you are re-mineralizing it or mixing it with treated tap water to bring down the TDS and/or hardness.

Using a typical conditioner/dechlorinator will not be necessary with pure RO. However, RO should be reconstituted appropriately with minerals and buffers which will require the addition of specific products. Alternately, RO can be cut with tap water (which will require conditioner) to achieve specific levels for ph, gh and kh. It honestly really depends on what you are trying to accomplish in respect to your tank and your parameters. Feel free to ask questions!

I'm trying to lower the PH for my tank. Tap water PH is excessively high (8.2 to 8.4). I have an oscar and currently the PH in his tank is sitting at 8. I've tried using PH down (worthless). I would prefer using something that isn't going to discolor the water such as drift wood or peat.

After doing a little more research I've discovered I'm a complete idiot. :whistle:
I was under the impression that the RO system was something that connected to the tank and cycled the water. Super green here so I should have looked further into this. As for adding conditioned tap water, since I'm only trying to lower the PH, would it be necessary for me to cut RO with tap?

Also, thank you guys so much for the help!

Back
Top Bottom