Replacing filter: Fluval 406 or FX5?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmolavi

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 56 gallon (yes, 56, not 55 :) ) freshwater tank, currently being filtered by 2 Penguin 200 filters. The water quality is excellent, but the Penguins are noisy, despite replacing impellers, cleaning everything out, getting new units from Marineland, etc. So, I was pondering the thought of moving to a canister filter, but wasn't sure if for my setup and tank size if the 406 would be sufficient, or if the FX5 is *really* really necessary.

I know the whole "better to be overfiltered than underfiltered" bit, but my concern here is the flow rate of the filter. I don't have huge fish, but I don't want the ones I do have feeling like they're salmon swimming up the Niagara Falls :)

Also, on the note of noise, how quiet are the Fluval canisters? To give you an idea of what my Penguins sound like, here's a video of just one of them. Penguin 200 impeller noise - YouTube

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I'm not new to fishkeeping, but I am just getting back into it after an 8 year hiatus.

Edit: After looking around the Rena xP3 or xP4 look like they might do a good job as well. Again, any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I'm running a 406 on my 75g... it is rated at 100g. It is dead quiet from a few feet away. I'm really impressed by it in the few months I've been running it.

Running the fx5 here on my 75g African Cichlid tank. Not a sound. No joke I don't hear it, sometimes I look at the outtakes to make sure it's on. Only time I hear it is when it shuts down automatically. It does this every 24hrs to allow to trapped air to escape. So if I'm in the room at that time you hear a gurgle sound when it kicks back on. No big deal really.

The FX5 is recommended for only 75gal and over due to huge output and too much flow.

Rena's have a great rep, but I haven't used them myself.

The FX5 is not necessary. It's an amazing filter, I run it on a 55 w/ a turtle, and it is awesome and silent, but you don't *need* it. Personally, unless I became a very rich woman, I would go for the 406. It will definitely get the job done well.

Either will work, but unless you have EXTREMELY messy rediculously high bioload stock... a 406 is more than enough ... and even then, a 406 should be able to handle a messy tank.

I have 2 fx5's on my 180 right now and I can't hear a thing, low maintence too, maybe... maybe once a month I clean it, and even that isn't difficult or time consuming.. fx5's are expensive yes, but i managed to find 2 of them on craigslist for under $150 each! I'm not familiar with the other filters so i can't really comment on them but from what others say they're quiet too! Good luck!!

Thanks for all the responses. I guess it's down to the Rena vs 406. I'll do some more digging and see what best fits my needs, and what can be picked up locally.

Thanks again for all the posts :)

LOVE my FX5. I have one on my 72 gallon tank. Recently just discovered that you can adjust the valve output so it doesn't toss the fishes around. Completely silent. Not even a splash or a wuuuurrrr...

However - anything smaller and I would have gotten a different filter.

I have the G3 fluval for my 36 gallon and I haven't installed it yet - really cool features.

406 rattle

New member here, with question. I have a fluval 406 , 4 months old. Have liked it fine but it has now started to make an intermittent rattling noise. Taking it apart and cleaning it has not helped. Anyone had this problem or a suggested solution?

New member here, with question. I have a fluval 406 , 4 months old. Have liked it fine but it has now started to make an intermittent rattling noise. Taking it apart and cleaning it has not helped. Anyone had this problem or a suggested solution?

Check the impeller cover, if one of the clips that hold it in place brakes, it'll make a rattling sound ... I just had to replace mine a couple of weeks ago.

Back
Top Bottom