Required lighting for plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dlwn88

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys,

Recently acquired two amazon sword plants from someone who was moving. I was told you could add them into your tank even while it's currently cycling. I was told two florescent bulbs as lighting would work, but I wanted to make sure? I keep reading all sorts of different things on the internet so I'd figured I'd ask to make sure. Don't mind and going out and getting some improved lighting for the plants if need be.

Thanks.
Dave

What size tank, what kind of florescent bulbs?
need to know:
Watts
Size (t8, t5, etc)
Color temperature

It's for a 75g, I have two Aqueon 8,000K T8's, both of them 24 inches long. It's just temporary till I get more lighting but should I stick to these types or what should I upgrade too?

How many watts is the current fixture?

For a 75 I would look at t5ho lighting solutions. Somewhere around 1 watt per gal of t5ho would be a great fixture for growing any low light plants (like your swords) in your tank. You could go 2-3 watts per gallon if you intend to add co2 injection and fertilizers. It all depends on what you want to keep in the tank.

Is this for the SA cichlid tank? Just a side note, cichlids are known to dig up any plants and arrange them however they want.

Back
Top Bottom